Hattons selling off R7345 HM7000-N18TXS decoders cheap

Peachy

I suspect it is because the only people that can fit them are TT120 owners, they are too big for most of my Next18 locos. Sorry 96RAF either Hattons are getting chummy with Hornby again, or Hornby is putting them on the open market for Hattons to buy them. It is probably part of that excess stock we hear a lot about. TMC must do the same as they have had some really good bargains lately.

There was a bargain price sale of TXS decoders in Germany recently flagged up on RMWeb forum, but it was generally agreed that by the time you had paid taxes and postage, etc it wouldn’t be any cheaper. There must be a good margin on them or they are dead on the shelves. Mind you Hattons flogged off all their stand alone copies of Railmaster for a fiver donkeys years ago, so I had a couple of them.

I fell for that one RM. Although there are a few that think they are mere weeks away. Which of course ignores the fact that we are in the middle of a cost of living crisis and with the smaller designs undoubtedly needing a significant investment, I wouldn’t expect to see them for at least a couple of years.

I hope I am wrong.

The only advantage for Hornby to rush investment/development of gen 2 decoders, (that I can see) would be if the designers could fit them inside TT:120 shunters. Thereby increasing sales of sound-fitted locos. (I doubt decoder sales alone would offset the necessary outlay).

Considering those locos themselves appear to be a way off yet, I’m forced to agree with Steve.

There seems to be one about to be announced?

I'm not giving up on the steam 0-6-0s being wider than the 08s so allowing for fitting of 8-pin plus PB with a lot less fettling than is necessary to get them into the 08 (yes, it can be done and there is a topic with full instructions on here). All that is needed is for the body to be about 2mm wider than the 08.

Fishy the reason I am cautious over dates (in spite of a supposedly imminent ‘surprise’ announcement) - is that there has been no indication as to what phase the surprise might be attached to…

Therefore (I imagine that) Oct 10 could be used to announce intended release dates for phases 3-4 & the ‘surprise’ is the headliner for phase 5. Whilst I would be perfectly happy watching something like this - I can well imagine others might have slightly different (possibly less realistic/cynical) expectations!

Hornby has said that whilst they will retain the annual catalogue, the January announcement will be binned in favour of several thru’ year announcements more closely aligned to real stock becoming available, than the usual long term promise dates.

On topic of announcements, right at launch of TT, SK said that TT:120 would be announced as phases rather than a big announcement at beginning of year (OO) seems they are learning from TT experience.

On Gen2, I think with the issues in China, a lot of tech could be severely delayed, it seems the Chinese economy is in deep trouble and that could have a serious knock on for our hobby as well as world in general

There is a lot of unanswered questions from Hornby's part. I mean if they produce a catalogue is it still going to be a "wish list" of what they are going to make. I suppose if they announce more closely when the model will be available that has got to be bad news for them. A lot of us preorder from Hornby direct, to fix the price. If the timescale is shorter then it would be advantageous to order off of a Retailer as we get it slightly cheaper and the better ones like Derails do the QA, that Hornby fail to do. At the moment because I am a Hornby member I get 10% off, but I gather this will be replaced by points at its anniversary, so another reason not to buy direct. Good strategy though, I would prefer it that way not like this last month where I have had 4 pre ordered locos from Hornby, that I preordered at different times turn up within the space of two weeks.

@Colin B, it’s not completely bad news for Hornby, if development costs escalate they do have the opportunity to price the model appropriately before public release. The majority of their business is via retailers but for customers who can’t access an acceptable retailer there is a direct option and club membership has advantages. Certainly TT:120 was a much better proposition direct than via retailers. Personally I would rather the retailer margins were discounts I could access via future TT club membership, 15% off and 10% hobby reward points.