Fitting Magnetic coupling R7400 to older carriages.

Aussie Fred

Firstly, can I just say the search engine for this forum stinks. I put in this search in and got 348 pages, first 4 pages not relevant.

Now I have that gripe out of the way, I have at last received my magnetic coupling from the UK and while it is a simple slide out, slide in for later models of locos and carriages, many of my older locos, carriages and especially wagons have the old fixed connections. How do I get around this - is there a "socket" one can get to screw into the wheel assembly to receive the new coupling after cutting the old one of or what is the solution please.

G'day AF, do you know anyone with a 3D printer over there, or even custom hobby part printers?

Get hold of a load of micro Nd magnets, glue into a printed recess and job done.

For anyone competent it should be an interesting project - and sideline for other hobby persons over there perhaps?

Al.

I have just researched bachmann nem pockets and 1 option that showed was for nem coupler pockets from an ebay seller therailworks which can produce nem pockets with the screw fixing point already drilled ready to fit.

The item number is 403980561703 and they can be supplied as a pack of 5 pairs ( 10 pockets ) for £7.42 + £1.15 p&p or 10 pairs ( 20 pockets ) for £10.87 + £1.15 p&p.

Might be worth checking out as there are 6 packs available when I looked so you would have to place an order quickly if you wanted them.

Hope this helps.

These will not work with magnetic couplings. They are only useful if you wish to mount smaller tension lock units. Magnetic couplings like the older Hornby close coupling adapters are "rigid". Unless they are mounted in a close coupling mechanism they need to be mounted on a unit that can pivot or they will cause derailments on any curve.

I appreciate the problem with fixed wheel wagons, will see if I can screw them in allowing some movement, if that doesn't work then those wagons will just have to be "olde school" My rule number 1.

Thankfully all my carriages that I have to convert are all "swivel" units.

Have gone with West Hill Wagons, they looked the best and got 40 for 25 pounds including postage. The problem with living out here is the postage from the Old Dart. - that and the exchange rate, thanks to our damn government.

Oh, and thanks for all those who contributed with hints and suggestions.