I see Rails are now doing Hornby

ColinB

Maybe it signals the end of Hornby’s tier system for retailers? Some of the marketing decisions in recent years have appeared a little spiteful towards other retailers and manufacturers but maybe the economic realities of those decisions have prompted the winds of change to blow through Margate?

I suspect it is probably the shift in management team. The new lot are probably more interested in making a dent in last years loss rather than trying to appease RMWEB (which you will never achieve) which Simon was paranoid about (according to the TV program). So perhaps they are more focused on selling stuff. Like or not Rails and Hattons were really good at shifting their product.

@ANDYMAC - the tier system definitely appeared to benefit very few (if anyone?) hopefully this news indicates its demise.

Considering the hassle (& apologies to disappointed pre-order customers) that Hattons, Kernow etc. were required to contend with - I’m not certain how much Rails would regret removing themselves from that train-wreck early on? Only they will be privy to its financial cost.

Certainly if Rails & Hornby have found a mutually agreeable & beneficial solution - that must be a positive.

Perhaps when the tier system came out Rails found themselves in the same situation as Hattons, being bottom of the list for new models. They probably realised that is where most of the money is, so with no new models they weren't going to be making much on Hornby sales, so they did the logical thing and decided not to deal with Hornby. There is also the point that Rails trades on its reputation, it has done for years, so letting down customers because they don't get an allocation is also not good for business. All the time they have been a good Retailer for Bachmann and all the other makes especially Accurascale. Then there are their specials which also seem to sell at a premium. So overall losing Hornby probably did cause them some issues but not that much.