Solder repairs to Mazak Triang/Hornby loco chassis

threelink

The link I gave you to Amazon takes you to a 2.5g pack of silver conductive epoxy for £18.

@t.c. and 3Link - Did you notice the delivery charge on that Amazon linked page. The product was £18, but the delivery charge from the USA to the UK was quoted as £171. It was the same seller and the same product with the same delivery charge I saw previously listed in another Amazon search result for £2K+. The listed price seems to go up and down like a YoYo. I suspect it is on one of those Amazon auto-adjusting, based upon views, price calculators.

@Topcat, PH and 96RAF,

Yes, I did see the delivery charges. I read a review of the JB Weld which seemed to indicate that it would not be suitable for the particular repair involved so I went for the soft option of standard epoxy and hardwiring the pony truck to the chassis. Worked like a charm, though it is non-original. The budget I mentioned (£12.00 per loco) is entirely self imposed. I like a challenge and am averse to spending a lot on a hobby ( it's a generation thing and I'm just a mean old man). Wonderful as today's r-t-r offerings are, it has to be said that they are largely indistinguishable from my mongrels at normal viewing distance. I will not spend £120.00 on a loco when I can get much the same for £12.00.

I have much appreciated all comments on this topic.

• 3 weeks later...

As a follow up to this post I have learned that a mixture of graphite (ground up pencil lead) baking powder and liquid super glue apparently makes an electrically conductive filler. I have not yet tried it but shall do so when next I have a repair requiring such.