How do I change my headlights on Hornby set R1230M?

Arjun-365760

Hello,

If you've seen my first post, you would have noticed that I have had an inconvenience with the Hornby HST set's headlights. I do remember someone suggesting me to replace the headlights and grille area with one from Peter's spares and I look forward to taking that course of action. The question is, how do I do it? As mentioned before, I'm really new to model railways and have no clue how to do anything apart from putting trains on tracks and running them. I'm looking for a guide on how to do this or perhaps, a YouTube video. I understand that this is seriously expecting a lot from you all and if you don't want to reply/feel it would be too hard then you don't have to but help would be much appreciated.

Yours,

Arjun

This is the Railroad set from the part number. I have just done this to my model I bought a headlight board off EBay, it is a really nice PCB that you connect 3 wires to.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251999154032?var=555850753629

You will need a soldering iron. I black tacked the circuit board in the front under the seat unit. You will need two of these one for the power car and one for the dummy. It comes with full fitting instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have just converted two old Lima HSTs using the PCBs I got off EBay and I didn't have to do anything to the front lenses. Now if you have the Hornby HST before they adopted the Lima body/chassis then you have to do something to the lenses. You may be wondering how come I have done so many conversions on old HSTs. Well I had a 1980s Hornby HST, so I decided to upgrade it by buying the new Hornby chassis and bogies. I then found out that the old Hornby body doesn't fit the new Hornby chassis as the new Hornby chassis is derived from the Lima chassis, so I put the original Hornby back to original with a 5 pole motor and bought some Lima bodies to fit the new chassis.

So seeing as R1230M is basically the old Lima model with Hornby upgrades, I suspect you don't have to anything to the lens.

Colin -

Was this the HST from the GWR set that has white lights only in the power car but not in the dummy? Did you convert that, it has a funny front light arrangement , unlike the old 1980s Hornby HST which is a doddle to light.

I tried for ages to put lights in the dummy car but it defeated me in the end - not enough space for LEDSs and alignment very difficult! So you had success with one of those led boards, they look very neatly done?

steve