Bachmann 32-522NRMDS dcc

Bobby B

If it is fitted with a DCC decoder, which I believe it is, and you want to run it on a DC track then the best way is to remove the decoder and replace it with a blanking plate. It is possible to run it DC with the decoder in place by altering the value of CV29, but it is not recommended. Indeed many decoder manufacturers, especially sound disable DC running by default. If you require a blanking plate it will depend on whether it is 8 pin, 21 pin or other.

It depends upon which decoder is fitted. The DS in the Bachmann product code usually denotes that a sound decoder is fitted. My early Bachmann DS locos would run on DC no problem and give basic engine running sound, but no spot sounds. The fitted decoder in my locos was an ESU Loksound.

Whichever decoder is fitted, it also needs to have 'DC Running' enabled in CV29. This is typically the default configuration for non Hornby sound decoders but cannot be assumed to be the case.

You will also probably notice a starting lag as the controller speed knob needs to be turned up to achieve a voltage level to startup the decoder.

Realistically, replacing the decoder with a 'plate' for DC Bypass is IMO the preferred option, particularly if using really old DC Controller technology or some PWM controllers.

Even if it does run on DC it won't run as well as if you put a DC header in the socket. If you run it on DC with a decoder installed, assuming that the DC bit is set in CV29, you will find it will only run when the DC voltage control is set a lot higher.

The Bachmann Deltic model 32-522 appears to have a 21-pin DCC socket and the 21-pin blanking plate carries their part number 36-058. It seems to be a somewhat rare item but Lendons are showing stock although that item by itself does not meet their minimum order value.

Bachmann's information is not particularly easy to navigate so it would be advisable to confirm with both the seller of the loco and the supplier of the blanking plate that 36-058 is indeed what you need.