A1 TT120 HM7000 DCC - No sound

Christopher-371583

Just received my scotsman TT120 set and have set up following all the instructions, motion works as expected through the app but there is no sound. The loco has made sound a couple of times randomly, but that's it.

Things I have tried so far are unlinking and resetting with the code, using a different device, importing latest profile etc. Anything else I can try or am missing about how to work the sound functionality before I contact Hornby and return it for a replacement?

Well I have just sent mine back for exactly the same issue. ~You need to do the standard things like do a reset on it ( write 5 for sound or 8 to cv 8 if you didn't know), because Hornby will ask you that. I suppose if you are using the plug in speaker, check that is plugged in fully. Funny that it works occasionally, mine failed completely.

You may have already done this but worth checking. Make sure you unassign the loco/decoder, then unlink, delete the loco from the engine shed, power everything down, the loco and the device running the app. Then restart and start again.

I presume you did turn the sound on via function 1? This has been overlooked before, you can still get random sounds without the sound being activated. Hope this helps

Just to add to this, there was a reported instance where the fitted speaker in TT:120 pacific was very quiet. The speaker contacts the underside of the PCB that holds the decoder via spring loaded contacts, not a wire. If you feel confident, it’s just careful removal of tender body (in the loco instructions) unscrew the PCB, check the contacts are correctly aligned/clean. Obviously if there is an issue or after trying the ‘at home’ things with decoder settings it’s still not working, quick call to Customer Services to get a returns number, Hornby has excellent people on the job 👍

@IAN is your Scotsman set analogue or TXS fitted?

I believe the analogue sets don’t come with pre-fitted speakers & you need to connect the one supplied with decoder (& install it in the enclosure underneath PCB yourself.)

Whereas the separately sold locos & TXS fitted sets should all have speakers pre-fitted.

A couple of settings to check, apologies if they sound obvious but these things have been overlooked before.

Ensure that Function 1 is activated, it turns the sound profiles on.

Check the Global sound volume, I find 20 quite loud enough, if it has somehow set to 0 that will effectively be off irrespective of Function 1