Class 87 Caledonian Sleeper - how to remove body?

Pasquin1971

Hi - hoping someone can help. After a few Bachman and Accurascale models I was getting blasé about fitting decoders. Then back to Hornby and the need for a degree in engineering for what should be a two minute job. The instruction sheet is useless.

So... can anyone advise on how to "unclip the body sides from the chassis". Unless I gouge around with a screwdriver how am I supposed to find the 'clips'? Is there a simple way to find the clips and unclip them ...

Then ... I'm assuming from "fig 9" that once I've got the body off there's another long flat panel underneath that also needs removing to get to where I need to fit the decoder?

I'm kicking myself for getting another Hornby loco as they make it almost impossible to fit a decoder when every other manufacturer seems to have made it simple.

If your loco is R3751, it is not yet covered on a Service Sheet, but looking at sheet 436 for slightly earlier releases, there appears to be the traditional Hornby arrangement of 3 clips along each bodyside, one under each cab door and one at the mid point. There should be no need to use a screwdriver, a fingernail can often exert enough pressure to separate body from chassis.

If you find the decoder socket is not immediately visible on the main pcb, there are comments from ColinB in his posts on page 5 of the DCC sub-forum under the title 'New class 87 DCC fitting' which may be of assistance.

I didn't realise when I first answered this post but I have this loco. The easiest way to get it apart seems to be to slide a credit card in one side and pull it along the side of the the body being careful when getting to the moulded bogie springs. Leave the credit card in the side and do the same on the other side. I found it is easier to find a gap at the cab end to start at. Again leave this card in half way and then gently pull at either end to pull it off. You have to be so careful there are so many things you can break. There is a slot for the decoder and it needs to be small and insulated as the slot is in the metal weight. I think a Hornby one should fit, I used a really small Zimo one.