R9098 Flying Scotsman

Steve -372288

I would watch the one on ebay that is in an auction - currently £122 with six days to run. That may give you an idea of what someone is prepared to pay.

I agree £954 is a ridiculous amount - I note there is a purple West Country Elizabeth 11 "70" where the asking price is £1497.95 - do sellers really think people will pay this sort of price??

Don't forget there's also the influence of a self-propagating 'collectors' / sellers market'.

This happened in the 1980's with 'collectors' cars' - Astons, Ferraris, Jaguars suddenly going for ridiculous amounts of money.

It did encourage and enhance the restoration garages to a standard never seen before, so to some extent justified.

An Aston Martin DB6 in 'roadworthy' (probably just!) condition previously selling for £3,000 - 6,000 was suddenly worth £250,000 fully restored !!

Al.

Don't forget there's also the influence of a self-propagating 'collectors' / sellers market'.
This happened in the 1980's with 'collectors' cars' - Astons, Ferraris, Jaguars suddenly going for ridiculous amounts of money.
It did encourage and enhance the restoration garages to a standard never seen before, so to some extent justified.
An Aston Martin DB6 in 'roadworthy' (probably just!) condition previously selling for £3,000 - 6,000 was suddenly worth £250,000 fully restored !!
Al.

I used to get the opportunity to drive a 1966 Aston Martin DB6 Vantage (Manual) back in the early seventies - owner eventually sold it for £1250!!

Sorry Mods. - I know this is a model railway forum - not carsface_with_rolling_eyes

Hello Steve

You may search the UK web pages of eBay for completed items. Search for "Hornby R9098" and then "filter" for completed items. This provides you with a list of actual sales.

I did this and found 4 completed items. The average price is roughly in the £300s, depending upon how you treat the case where the seller accepted a lower offer than his asking price. The highest price? £427. The lowest? £257.

I would suggest that this price is driven by those who wish all the Hornby Thomas range.

Bee