HM|DCC 7K also popular in Germany

Ralf-62

HM 7K in Germany...

Although there are currently no sounds for German locomotives, the HM 7K is also enjoying growing popularity in Germany.

At least that's the impression I got after I presented the decoder and its advantages in a forum.

If anyone is interested in this post, here is the link to the post:

https://www.schmalspur-treff.de/t1241f20394-Hornby-Bluetooth-Decoder.html

I would be happy if my enthusiasm for this decoder spreads to other model railroaders.

Greetings from Germany,

Ralf

Thank goodness for Google translate so that I was able to read all of the posts on the forum you linked to Ralph.

A very good detailed explanation by you for the other guys, especially the one too lazy to read the instructions (his own words).

I am glad the decoder and system are being well received in Germany and I would hope Hornby adds continental locos profiles to the slowly increasing library sooner rather than later.

I love the concept of HM7K, but the continental modeller will quickly run into a wall when they realize that the decoders do not support:

1. Analogue output on AUX 3 and AUX 4. Put HM7K in a locomotive from Märklin, Trix, or anyone else that rely on analogue outputs, and the lighting will not work correctly.
  2. There is no Plux 22 version of the decoder. This rules out use in any locomotive of newer standard from most manufacturers (PIKO, Roco etc.). A huge majority of models relies on Plux 22 and a conversion PCB is not an option for most, since it is cumbersome and not readily available.

One should also note that ABC braking will not work without a DCC central, the main selling point of the HM7K is the ability to work without a DCC central and via Bluetooth. You cannot do that if your layout relies on ABC braking.

This is not meant to be a rant, I do really like the system, but modellers (especially those coming from the German digital systems) should be aware of heavy limitations in contrast to what they are used to. So digging through the manuals before taking the plunge is highly advisable.

Work is in hand to make ABC fully functional from the app, basic functionality and setting up is possible already, also to increase future capability of what ADCC functions are supported. At present a DCC controller is an advantage, but I cannot see how you can rely upon ABC for operation of your layout unless you already had one. Never mind, it will not be long before it is all in the app.

At present a DCC controller is an advantage, but I cannot see how you can rely upon ABC for operation of your layout unless you already had one.

No of course you would have to have a DCC controller already. :-) My point was that someone might be tempted to switch completely to HM7K and Bluetooth control. Ditching their controller in the process. In that case, ABC will not work.

I am curious as to how they plan on implementing ABC with regular DC? I cannot see how that is possible. Great news if it can be done!

Anyway:

I think the idea of just adding DC to the layout and of you go with Bluetooth is extremely appealing, but if you come from a full blown DCC system, you might end up disappointed. In that case, the HM7K decoders will just be like any other decoder. From a European perspective, also without the sound schemes, plugs etc.

Personally, I would love to be able to just add DC to the layout and run on HM7K. That would be awesome. So here I am hoping for the future! :-)

Hornby did say that a Plux 22 version is NOT in the pipeline at the moment - and may never be. Hornby said that since they do not use Plux 22 themselves, they have no (to them) valid reason to put a Plux 22 decoder to market. Unfortunately.

Just on the Plux22 issue, the Plux16 will plug into a Plux22 socket and an ESU adapter for N18 into Plux16 is definitely available and not too bulky, I have 1 in a TT:120 loco. I appreciate in some circumstances that could mean losing some functions though.

Yes, that would be possible in some cases. Unfortunately, the Plux 22 standard put several decoder outputs on the "above 16" pins. Reserving the lower pins for SUSI Bus and other (in my opinion useless) features. I think the real interesting features are the outputs from the decoder itself. That is where the fun is with regards to lighting etc.

With a Plux 16 decoder (or adapter) in a Plux 22 locomotive, all the basic functionalities will work. But being a Plux 22 locomotive, you will lose functions as well. Also, if the HM7K decoder does not support the SUSI bus, you will lose functions. The majority of Brawa, Märklin, and others, use SUSI for added functionality.

It will, no matter what, be a compromise that one would have to live with.

Btw. do the HM7K support the SUSI bus?

At present a DCC controller is an advantage, but I cannot see how you can rely upon ABC for operation of your layout unless you already had one.

No of course you would have to have a DCC controller already. :-) My point was that someone might be tempted to switch completely to HM7K and Bluetooth control. Ditching their controller in the process. In that case, ABC will not work.
I am curious as to how they plan on implementing ABC with regular DC? I cannot see how that is possible. Great news if it can be done!
Anyway:
I think the idea of just adding DC to the layout and of you go with Bluetooth is extremely appealing, but if you come from a full blown DCC system, you might end up disappointed. In that case, the HM7K decoders will just be like any other decoder. From a European perspective, also without the sound schemes, plugs etc.
Personally, I would love to be able to just add DC to the layout and run on HM7K. That would be awesome. So here I am hoping for the future! :-)
Hornby did say that a Plux 22 version is NOT in the pipeline at the moment - and may never be. Hornby said that since they do not use Plux 22 themselves, they have no (to them) valid reason to put a Plux 22 decoder to market. Unfortunately.

There is a clue in ADCC/ABC - that is DCC . You cannot make DC asymmetric, as it already is, but if you could superimpose an AC signal over that you could maybe invent DC ABC - sort of like Can-Bus.

Excellent! I live in Germany and can certainly confirm interest at least is high, especially in a market used to paying ESU and D&H prices!

I attended 2 big shows this year, Nürnberg and Friedrchshafen. The Hornby stand at both was packed, the main topics being TT120 and HM7000.

Excellent! I live in Germany and can certainly confirm interest at least is high, especially in a market used to paying ESU and D&H prices!
I attended 2 big shows this year, Nürnberg and Friedrchshafen. The Hornby stand at both was packed, the main topics being TT120 and HM7000.

Fantastic news! Germany is the heart of the TT world. The Class 66 can't come soon enough!

Work is in hand to make ABC fully functional from the app, basic functionality and setting up is possible already, also to increase future capability of what ADCC functions are supported. At present a DCC controller is an advantage, but I cannot see how you can rely upon ABC for operation of your layout unless you already had one. Never mind, it will not be long before it is all in the app.

This is the first I've heard of this. It's exciting to hear about progress in this space! If they can make this work, this would represent a huge addition to the system's functionality. The promise of iterative improvement is being born out. The strategy for HMDCC's launch makes more and more sense in retrospect. First, aim for the normal consumer who want basic DCC functionality. Then, once you have a rock-solid foundation, add new functionality. With each additional feature added to the app, you are expanding the addressable market for the system.

Once this feature is released, you are on your way to capturing ever larger swaths of the DCC market. 6010 is already offering accessory control. The reverse loop module will be another big win. I'm excited to see this system continue to develop.