Why isn't there a MK1 restaurant coach available yet

Triang tt man

I am sure catering vehicles will join the range in due course, as will coaches of other styles and in different liveries, but at the moment there are no loco's to pull them.

TT120 releases have been vastly more frequent than when TT3 was launched but still a little patience is required.

On Southern liveries, as GS says, currently no Southern locos although they will come. It’s something that have been covered on various threads, but ultimately it comes down to factory production slots. Hornby uses several factories in China to manufacture their models. These are booked 12-18 months in advance, other model companies are fighting for the same slots too. So far with TT:120 Hornby has been running flat out to just satisfy demand with the model’s currently released, which is the logical approach but I am sure it has affected roll out of the next phase models and the ones that haven’t been publicly announced. Starting an entire range from scratch is an epic undertaking and whilst we know Hornby does a great job of delivering the models we would like it is also a business and has to take a pragmatic approach in respect of ROI. The bills need to be paid and the highest volume versions are the best way to achieve it. Unsold stock in warehouses was the undoing of Meccano Hornby, Triang Hornby and many other manufacturers, in business Cash Flow is critical.

When Tri-ang TT was launched, for 18 months/2 years you only had 2 locos and 4 coaches (all in one livery) plus a handful of wagons.

Here, in less than 12 months from the first set delivery, we have 3 locos in 9 different variations and then, with different numbers/names/colours about 13 different coaches.

As others have said different models will come but some people want everything at once and you cannot please everyone, but, the saying is "patience is a virtue".

You state "it is only a spray paint to do" so, why not do what I did and spray paint some coaches in green for the SR versions?

And on from that, It wouldn’t be too hard to create a restaurant car version from a std Mk1 coach.

I appreciate scratch building is not people’s first thought these days but certainly some mild modifications when you have 95% of the model done is a good place to start.

If you go down painting route I would recommend using liquid mask rather than removing the glazing, it is well stuck in and can shatter quite easily.

I’d bet we see some new liveries for the MK1s in phase 3 & 4. The blue and grey at least, if not some of the other regional schemes.

Resturant coach would seem likely as a future release given that TT allows for longer trains so more variety of coaches can be used.

We have brake vans composite coaches in TT120 but no mk1 restaurant coach yet.also no Southern or Great Western coaches yet its only a
Spray paint to do.

Has any had a go at repainting the MK1s? Could be a little project. Are decals in TT available anywhere?