2024 range

rman

It is shame the 2024 catalogue says Flying Scotsman Steam addition is highlighted as NEW, however I looked in my 2022 catalogue when this was first announced as NEW.

Does Hornby Marketing have a very short memory?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my 2024 catalogue in the deal from Tescos and was really surprised that a lot of the entries were the ones promised for 2023 and some 2022. Now I know the reality is that possibly they will appear this year and it is good you can find their specification in the new catalogue but it is a deviation on previous years. Not an issue just an observation.

Rather sensible to show what will be available rather than ignoring items not yet produced from previous catalogues. It use to be the case that models were catalogued while stocks lasted but with the move to a single batch production that was dropped despite some models hanging around for ages - 71s, J15s, K1s etc often simply because too many were produced as a second set of releases too soon after the originals which had catered for the initial demand.

Some notable clangers in the catalogue concerning a couple of 88DS locos which are not announced as being for 2024 but then do not seem to have been previously announced.

R30014 is listed as an Era 3 GWR loco but the GWR had no such loco. The actual modelled loco, Ruston & Hornsby 224353 was built in 1945 for industrial use (and hence also not "entered service circa 1950s" as the catalogue states). It entered preservation finding its way to the Great Western Society at Didcot who, in the 1970s, painted it as per the Hornby model but with the notable difference the loco had acquired cab doors and windows.

D1 a Ruston and Hornsby 88DS

It subsequently returned to industrial use until scrapped in 1989

Port Tennant

R30017 is listed as an Era 4 BR loco but BR had no such loco. Again "D2959" is a preservation applied livery to Ruston & Hornsby 382824 at the Telford Steam Railway.

D2959

That loco is now in an industrial livery

VL6 Hector on the Telford Steam Railway on 01-10-2023