Detailing.

atom3624

I recently, near successfully too, added Modelu crew to my CavAlex Class 56 cab.

It got me thinking what else would / could be typical, without exaggerating ....

I turned to newspapers. Thing is tabloids' default dimensions are 11x17" ~ 4x6 mm, and 'broadsheet' dimensions are 29.5x22.5" ~10x6 mm.

I managed to copy the 'front pages' from the BBC news section onto a Word document, then decreased to ~correct size.

The effect looks OK, but ... don't know.

Selection is wide - Times, Financial Times, Express, Mirror, Sun, Metro, Mail ... I reckon the Express is a nice pun and compromise.

One or 2 different ones on the dash, black tacked there I'll try.

Al.

Hi Atom

Newspapers would be perfect for passengers. Modern image modelers could certainly go with a ubiquitous cell phone in hand

But for the crew, a different set of rules applies. I do not know how it is in the UK, but here in the US, the interior of the cab is recorded. Up until recently, this was voluntary, but the FRA is now mandating compliance, with a 12 hour loop.

If you want to lose your job as an engineer, this is an easy way.

Newspapers in the cab is a no no.

Bee

Edit to add: all the control settings are recorded, some on a ½ second update rate

Tis true, distraction indeed.

My '56' is an 80's era 'TOPS' model in rail blue.

One 'character' I have in the cab already has his feet up on the dash, so the odd paper - or brew, or mobile wouldn't go amiss I'd guess.

Putting said items into the coaches is an excellent idea, and definitely something to do, once I get the characters, and decide to start ripping them apart - not the easiest to open up.

Toying with ideas basically.

Totally agreed WatB in contemporary times, H&S of all facets is imperative and probably the same in UK nowadays. In the 80's and with a 2IC I would guess it was a little 'more relaxed'.

Al.

Hi Al

Along the lines of trying with ideas:

1) A book labeled "Log Book".  Active hours are generally constrained and thus recorded.  A Log Book may or may not fit with your era and railway, but could logically and easily fit.  Of course, the running joke wiil be that your engineer appears "glued to his seat and never goes off duty." 😁

2) A clipboard with a sheaf of papers labeled "Manifest" with illegible lines below it, so the manifest suits any consist.

3) Many crew will travel with a duty bag.  It would carry required equipment, manuals, tools, safety gear, etc.  Kind of like a very oversized briefcase.  One each for conductor and engineer.

4) In cooler weather, the crew will have work jackets or even work coats.  The cab is heated, of course, so a coat or jacket hanging on the back wall would be appropriate.

5) I like Rana's idea about tea.  A proper mug with all the accoutrements.  A wisp of cotton will make it a steaming cup of tea.

6) Two way radios?  Long consists will require remote crew communications.  

Bee

Edited by What About The Bee
Spacing/carriage returns

All good ideas - depends how much 'spare time' I can find.

I've a few locomotives I'd really like to repair, and have been sitting around for up to 18 months.

I'd been thinking of all of the above, and thank you WatB.

Logs and Manifest - I presume there'd be room in the storage cabinets - better not to leave lying around, but plausible.

Tea mug - necessary 'tool of the trade', but a potential accident waiting to happen ... and wouldn't be that visible at 1:76.2, but might ...

Certainly jackets and the bag - used to see them mounting the 87's with the Thermos, bag and the odd newspaper ...

I'd like it 'interesting' but realistic, not cluttered.

TBH the problem's that CavAlex 56.  It's both so detailed and also so easily accessible.  When received, a colleague asked about inserting crew members, and before he'd finished talking, I already had the body off!!  That easy.

Al.

On 2/12/2024 at 7:37 PM, Rana Temporia said:

Didn’t the pilot scheme diesels have hot plates in the cab for cooking on?

I seem to remember 08 123 had a small Belling - I would imagine it would have been a replacement for that fire-box thing that was used to make tea and fry-ups on steam locos which was also handy for heating water in the loco boiler!