ASR Spitfires at RAF Warmwell

Continuing with my RAF Warmwell aircraft project, and linking to the 276 Squadron ASR Walrus that I’ve already built and also to the Air Sea Rescue launch (based at nearby Weymouth) that I’ve just finished (and posted about in the Ships and Boats section of the forum), I’ve also been working on a couple of 1/72 scale Spitfire Mk Vb aircraft that were flown from RAF Warmwell in June 1944 by 275 Squadron, another dedicated Air Sea Rescue squadron.

The two kits that I completed as those flown by 275 Squadron on D-Day (hence the invasion stripes) gave me a chance to compare the Airfix 1/72 Vb with the Revell version. Chalk and cheese spring to mind! The Airfix kit had raised panel lines, which were sanded off and then rescribed, and a cockpit totally devoid of sidewall detail, which I added with bits from the scrap box. The Revell version had cockpit sidewall detail, and already scribed panel lines, which saved a bit of time. Both went together relatively straightforwardly, though I have to say that the Revell version needed a bit of filler on the wing joints! You’ll also notice that the PV-R (Revell) version had clipped wing-tips – presumably for better handling at low altitudes…

The squadron codes (PV-) are in yellow, which they would have been as Air Sea Rescue aircraft. Even after lots of research and reading, I was unable to match serial numbers to actual aircraft codes. I found that at least two Spitfire Vb aircraft were part of 275 Squadron at Warmwell on D-Day, so I made an executive decision to give the Airfix kit the code of PV-A and the serial number of BL294 whilst the Revell kit became PV-R with serial number BM448. Those code and number combinations might not be historically strictly accurate, but I’m happy that they might have been correct!

One concession to their ASR role was to add the yellow-coloured smoke marker bombs to the underside of each aircraft (sourced from the spares box). As usual for me, both kits were painted using brush-applied Vallejo Air Model acrylics from the Vallejo RAF Colors Day Fighters 1941-45 set. Decals were a combination of those supplied with the kits, and the yellow codes and serial numbers from sheets sourced from Hannants. The black and white invasion stripes were painted on – Tamiya 6mm masking tape seems to be just the correct width for 1/72 scale stripes!

So that’s two more aircraft to add to the growing collection of RAF Warmwell aircraft. Did I prefer the Airfix kit or the Revell kit? Well, I’d have to say there wasn’t a great deal in it, but I think I enjoyed the Airfix one a little bit more… I might continue the ASR theme, with a very old-mould Airfix Lysander in the stash at the moment which could become the ASR version flown by 276 Squadron… but that’s for another day.

27rasr-05.jpg

275asr-01.jpg

275asr-02.jpg

275asr-03.jpg

275asr-04.jpg

• Like 2