Latest acquisition

Ratch

On 04/06/2024 at 17:17, Ratch said:
I was hoping that Airfix would re-issue this in the Vintage Classics range🙂

I've wanted this is a re-issue for a couple of years now Ratch.

I had 2 stints building when I was younger - around 10ish and then in my mind to late teens. I built this in the second of those and I'd like to do it again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, maybe my memory is failing me, I don't remember it being a great kit? But that doesn't matter, still good memories at the bench.

Gavin.

14 minutes ago, Nerazzurri said:

I've wanted this is a re-issue for a couple of years now Ratch.

I had 2 stints building when I was younger - around 10ish and then in my mind to late teens. I built this in the second of those and I'd like to do it again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, maybe my memory is failing me, I don't remember it being a great kit? But that doesn't matter, still good memories at the bench.

Gavin.

Not a great kit, not a patch on the new 1/48 kit, but about the only 1/72 Anson about AFAIK

6 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Not a great kit, not a patch on the new 1/48 kit, but about the only 1/72 Anson about AFAIK

Yes. The 1/48 was well received, but the scale just isn't for me. I wonder if anybody knows if Airfix still have the mould and if it's serviceable 🤔

Waiting year after year isn't a problem (the stash is endless). But if I knew it was a forlorn hope I'd check eBay occasionally.

Gavin.

11 minutes ago, Nerazzurri said:

I wonder if anybody knows if Airfix still have the mould and if it's serviceable 🤔

Yes they still have the tool, as it was in the range in the not too distant past I'd imagine that it's still serviceable. But having said that, I'll bet it will be a Vintage Classic limited run - if it is released. Personally, I'd rather have a new kit up to the 1/48 standard.

5 minutes ago, Ratch said:

I'll bet it will be a Vintage Classic limited run - if it is released. Personally, I'd rather have a new kit up to the 1/48 standard.

A new tool would be lovely. But I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at a Vintage Classic - a journey back to my youth.

Touching on a different conversation, but it's worth saying in the new tool/vintage classic chat. I know everybody is different and takes different things from the hobby - I'm not fussed with outstanding detail, as long as the main components go together well without massive fettling.

Gavin.

New Acquisitions

The latest Wingleader Photo Archive has found its way to my library. Also some Flightpath bits. The conversion set is aimed at my recent Airfix Whitley purchase. The MkIIIs were used in 1940 for parachute training. I’m not sure how easily the conversion will fit the Airfix plastic, as it was designed for the Frog/Novo Whitley, but I’m sure some modelling will sort it out. The Hudson engines might help lift the ancient Airfix kit one day. Boy, is that kit going to need some help lifting, too.

A bunch of these RAF WWII aircrew (1/72) arrived today, all individually imprisoned in their own cages from 3DJson. 
IMG_5771.thumb.jpeg.ecce814723d0d3983063597a70ea66c0.jpeg

Thanks to Randall & Peebeep for highlighting them  

Edited by Dominic Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 26/06/2024 at 14:59, Dominic Thomas said:

A bunch of these RAF WWII aircrew (1/72) arrived today, all individually imprisoned in their own cages from 3DJson. 
IMG_5771.thumb.jpeg.ecce814723d0d3983063597a70ea66c0.jpeg

Thanks to Randall & Peebeep for highlighting them  

Nice Dominic, I have quite a number of them now.

Randall

3 hours ago, modeling maniac said:

What is the second scheme, because it looks suspiciously british. If I were you I would do the bottom one and then a custom one.

My plan is to do a D Day aircraft USA and a market garden Dakota  ritish Army

Randall

image.jpg

Edited by SD45elect2000
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Nerazzurri said:

@modeling maniac nice markings on that Tomahawk 👌

I don’t know how 73 Sqn RAF got away with it during the war. That was their prewar marking on Gladiators, albeit blue and yellow.  Perhaps the difficulties in the Middle East gave them the opportunity. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dominic Thomas said:

I don’t know how 73 Sqn RAF got away with it during the war. That was their prewar marking on Gladiators, albeit blue and yellow.  Perhaps the difficulties in the Middle East gave them the opportunity. 

I didn't know that.

Sometimes it's good to be different 😁

You’re right there. 
If you look hard enough, there are other examples where a squadron has used it’s prewar marketing on aircraft in WWII. 

85 Squadron used their hexagon, first seen on SE5a’s in WWI.

17 Squadron added the gauntlet to the Spitfire XIV in Burma  

111 Squadron added a horizontal blank bar under the cockpit of a few of early Spitfires.

601 Squadron added the winged sword to the white of the fin flash on Hurricanes in the Battle of Britain  

Then as the war was drawing to a close in 1945, several more started to add prewar markings (4, 19, 25, 43, to name but a few).

• Like 1