5 Pole Ringfield to DCC conversion.

LesXRN

Hi folks.

I was recently gifted an unused Britannia, Western Star, after a friends husband passed away. It lived in a glass case and has never been run.

As it's a super detail model, combined with the fact that it would be nice for my friend to see it running, I am thinking of converting it to DCC sound. I would most likely use a Zimo decoder with a cube speaker mounted in the loco body. I also would prefer to remove the tyres from the tender wheels to prevent track contamination.

So, have any of you done this mod' & if so, was it worth while.

Many thanks. Les.

I have swapped full metal cogged wheels from a diesel front bogie to replace the tyred wheels on a ring-field motor bogie and that worked. I also rigged an extra pickup on that side. I haven't tried that on a steamer as I don't have one and finding full metal wheels could be difficult.

Conversion of the various ring-field types is well covered by Brian Lambert whose site is linked to in the useful links sticky post.

Personally I'd rather keep the tyres and the degree of traction they provide.   I've run model trains in several scales from Z to G since the 60s and never ever observed any "contamination" caused by having traction tyres.   Mind you I've never let any of the track cleaning fluids anywhere near my trackwork as I know some of those can destroy tyres.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...