LNWR carriage number 01738

I have been seeking a photo of this LNW 3rd class lavatory carriage for the last 30 years or so, without success. If anyone knows of a depiction of it and can tell me where to find it, I will be eternally grateful. For the avoidance of doubt I am looking for the carriage numbered 1738 at the time of the LNW's 1910 stock renumbering programme. It was cyphered with the prefix 0 some time after 1910 in order to release the number 1738 for a new carriage. It is an image of 01738 or the old 1738 that I seek, not the new. It was first built as a 7 compartment composite in 1886 and converted to a third class lavatory carriage in 1892 or thereabouts, when it was retro-fitted with the automatic vacuum brake to comply with the Regulation of Railways Act following the Armagh tragedy. It survived into LMS days and was scrapped in the early 1930s. I am very keen to find an illustration in 1886 or 1892 form because, improbably, I have 2 compartments from one end of the carriage in bits in my garage, waiting for me to rebuild it as a railway room for the garden. With such a long working life I am just hoping that it will have been photographed at some point. A photo of a model would be very acceptable in lieu of the prototype.

44 minutes ago, threelink said:

A photo of a model would be very acceptable in lieu of the prototype.

Perhaps one of the lavatory carriages here?  http://londonroadmodels.com/carriages_pages/lnwr_carriages.php

There are 11 references to LNWR lavatory carriages on that page.  While I cannot possibly know which one is appropriate, if any at all are, the page may provide a clue.

Bee

Thank you, Bee. The D292 A model is, I believe, an accurate representation of the same class of carriage carriage as 01738 as originally built (7 compartment radial) but the lavatory carriages mentioned are not of the same type. There may be no models of the lavatory version as the prototype was a conversion, retro fitted with lavatories. In addition, the conversion may have comprised parts of different carriages. The LNWR was notoriously parsimonious and would re-use anything that could be re-used. The four doors I have from the carriage all bear different numbers under the 01738 number transfers last applied. Trying to sort out where they might have originated  is an interesting exercise.

I know this will sound like heresy, but here goes!

Why not make your garden shed look like 7 Compartment Radial, instead of the franken-modification to a one of a kind lavatory car.  (Franken-mod = Frankenstein)

Firstly, even with a photograph, the internal layout will be decidedly unclear.  Moreover, do you want an outside bathroom and all that entails?  So in my mind, it is the external appearance that is important.  If you insist on lavatory, make the windows frosted.

I do understand the drive to bring it back to original, but my internal debate becomes the definition of original.  Is that Lavatory or 7 Compartment Radial?

Just my 2 pence ThreeLink, an opinion from the cheap seats in the peanut gallery.

Bee

It will be an external restoration only as my garden is small and the carriage had been stripped internally for use as a shed. I only have one end and the sides and roof of 3 compartments but have the guards duckets and a few other bits of a GER brake carriage of similar age. It will be a mongrel but a fun project. At least the livery will be accurate - much of the original survives under the LMS overpainting (but will have to be stripped as it is lead based). A full restoration to 1886 condition would be great, but beyond my abilities. 

• Like 1