Hornby J50 - is fitting a decoder possible?

I have recently acquired a J50 tank engine (R.3406) which is DCC ready (8 pin), but has precious little space inside the body cavity for a decoder (and speaker).
After examination, I have concluded that sound installation is (probably) not an option, but before I reach such a conclusion definitively, has anyone successfully installed sound into one of these (HM7000 or other make)?
I note that there are weights in the side tanks that are supposedly removable. Does removing these provide the necessary space? I imagine that removal will likely affect the performance too, given they just provide a significant percentage of the overall weight of the loco.

My current thoughts are that the only viable option will be to fit a non-sound ‘nano’ decoder that plugs directly into the socket.

Thoughts or observations welcome……

The OO J50 was one of the first TXS conversions I did and relatively straightforward.

Remove one of the weights to give space for the decoder then fit the stayalive and speaker in the cab and disguise them with a crew.

If you want a challenge, try converting a Bachmann J72!

Seeing as another thread talks about fitting sound to the TT:120 J50 I would think the 00 version would be a reasonably easy conversion.

I fitted TTS sound to a GWR pannier tank long ago using the big round speaker after cropping the tank weights, so anything is possible with TXS and the small speaker

Yes it certainly does work. Fitted the decoder to the side cavity having removed the weight and a speaker fits in the main body. I haven’t fitted a stay alive yet but will do when they’re next back in stock. It will have to go in the cab. Not noticed any difference in operation. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/05/2024 at 21:23, Loewietje said:

Let me know how it goes, I have couple of those still to do. 

I’ve now completed this project. HM7k 8 pin decoder fitted into the tank space (after removing the weight), with the smallest sugar-cube speaker led through to the cab. I have not fitted a PB. All pretty straightforward in the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Loewietje said:

Thanks. Stupid question, but I’ve misplaced the stay alive, don’t ask…. is the box it came in the same size as the decoders?

Hornby power bank comes in a plastic bag with a card closure.

• Thanks 1

I fitted the speaker (smallest cube) on top of the 8-pin plug, no need to put it in the cab. It is running around a piper on parade (guess which sound profile I used…) and no need for the stay-alive so far. If this changes I think I might cut the other weight in half, and put the stay-alive there. 
The hardest part of all was fitting the wires inside without them interfering with reassembling the body on the chassis. 

• Like 1