Decoder Wire Size

doublepeg

Most people find they often need the odd extra mtr so buying a reel is often a good answer. Prices of wire for model use is often over inflated by the shops, the shops just cut the wire off a reel in the first place anyway and either just post it or put

it into a packet, sometimes with a header card for hanging display in the shop. I was recently quoted in a model shop £1 for a mtr of the type of wire the gentleman wants, and for £7 I could buy a 100mtr reel elsewhere, As I needed 5 mtrs it made sense to

buy a reel!

The OP question was about decoder wire, not general layout wire.

A home DCC user (Not a retailer or a repair agent etc) will probably need 1 or 2 mtrs of each colour in four or more insulation colours which will last them many years, as its

highly likely only some 80 to 100mm would be needed per wire / installation and its only used in the unusual circumstances where the existing decoder wires need to become extra long! Using the price per Mtr I linked to of £0.36/Mtr per colour, purchasing four

or more reels of decoder wire is not by any means cost effective, even if I had loads friend who a) knew I had the wire and b) each wanted 100mm of it!

Archived