DCC Select, Address not saved

I recently purchased a DCC Select controller. I followed the instructions and assigned the loco that came with it from address 03 to 24 and it worked no problem. I removed it and added a different loco to the track, and tried to assign it from 03 to 37, the red light flashes three times (every time) but the second loco still only works on address 03 and will not update to 37. Is this an error with the controller or the chip?

Providing the loco actually has a decoder fitted. You would be surprised by the number of folk who are convinced  blanking plate is a decoder. A dead give awy is does the loco buzz when placed on a live DCC track. If yes then there is no decoder fitted.

Of course if you installed the decoder and it runs on address 3, then just readdress again using a different number. Try the loco with the body off.

Which decoder and which loco can be useful to the forum when trying to help.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, 96RAF said:

Providing the loco actually has a decoder fitted. You would be surprised by the number of folk who are convinced  blanking plate is a decoder. A dead give awy is does the loco buzz when placed on a live DCC track. If yes then there is no decoder fitted.

Of course if you installed the decoder and it runs on address 3, then just readdress again using a different number. Try the loco with the body off.

Which decoder and which loco can be useful to the forum when trying to help.

Thank you, I attached the decoder myself, it's an 8 pin decoder by Hornby that I bough about 12 years ago, I don't know the exact model as I can't find the instructions. It works fine on address 03 but for whatever reason, I can't assign it to a new address. If it's useful, the loco is the R2553 City of Bristol 46237 (Duchess Class), I think the decode might be the standard 8 pin decode R8249? The pics look like the one I have.

Edited by DaveAtLittleton

I have had decoders that have done that. I will add that they weren't Hornby. I just assumed something had gone wrong with the internal logic of the decoder device and just used them for testing. The light flashing three times indicates it is trying. I assume you have reset the decoder, that sometimes fixes it but I must admit on mine it did nothing. I suppose the only other thing is is the track connection is a bit dodgy. In my case I tried everything and it never fixed it.

At 12 years old the decoder, especially if factory fitted, could well be an old R8215, which was honestly awful, unreliable and best binned, although I found one a few weeks ago hard wired into an 0-4-0 and still working fine.

The best indicator is does it have a paint spot on the main chip, if so what colour and is it central or offset to a corner. That will betray its heritage.

OUTCOME: I did a factory reset of the Hornby Select Controller and then the newly added loco started working on address 37 without anything else being done.

I do not know how or why this worked and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to work this way but it did.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

1 hour ago, DaveAtLittleton said:

OUTCOME: I did a factory reset of the Hornby Select Controller and then the newly added loco started working on address 37 without anything else being done.

I do not know how or why this worked and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to work this way but it did.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

Rog RJ suggested that last Thursday and often a controller reset sorts out all sorts of odd problems.