And Then There Were Three ....

Hornby already make a really excellent model of the B.R. Class 60 locomotive - Brush Type 5.

Last year, a relatively new manufacturer announced they would 'up the ante'.  CavAlex are making most variations available, and an equally, perhaps higher detailed version it looks too - I still hold Hornby's in very high regard, and particularly as it came out over 15 years ago ... I think.

Now, AccuraScale have announced they'll be bringing out another, super detailed version of the Class 60 !!

The announcement of the CavAlex Class 60 would already be affecting the Hornby Class 60 sales, now with the A/S version .... 

Fantastic as both a model and 'in the flesh', but is this one version too many?

It's been done many times before in the past - look at the 08 shunter!!

H-D/Wrenn, Hornby V1, Lima, Bachmann, Hornby current ...  we're being spoilt, but there are many models I'd love to see which haven't.

The Class 25 has been as well - Hornby, Lima, Bachmann, Heljan and of course SLW.  Perhaps I've answered my own question?  !!

Al.

Trouble is Hornby has rested on their laurels for 15 years. Both the Cavalex and the new Accurascale versions are substantially cheaper and I assume will have more features. The thing I cannot understand is why Accurascale is producing one, if the Cavalex one is as good as their class 56 then I imagine they will have most of the orders. As to Hornby they need to understand the word competition, their models are expensive with less features. I don't know if their mechanisms are better than Accurascale or Cavalex but they seem ok and Accurascale have that "lifetime guarantee". 

The only thing they get better is the lighting - A/S and Cav locos need nearly half power on DC operation before they light up, Hornby nearly throughout the power range the locomotive moves - little bugbear I have!

I've the Cav 56 as well - as you say it's superb.  There's apparently a 'secret feature' they're not disclosing until their 60 is on the market.  No idea what it is.  A/S have mentioned they've a light for the engine bay, which could be a consideration ...

Al.

Posted (edited)
On 07/06/2024 at 21:11, ColinB said:

The thing I cannot understand is why Accurascale is producing one

Cavalelax announced 1.5 years ago (and isn’t there yet) Accurascale have been working on their for three years but only just announced... Who came first? (Who's in first base?)

Edited by RB51
Correction to text

I suppose they could all 'keep it clean' if there's no duplication, but it's a free market.

We complain if manufacturers announce too early, with a long lead time, and we find it complicating if favourites duplicate whilst advancing their product, decreasing the lead time.

I've no doubt the CavAlex and Accurascale models will move the game on, but interesting nevertheless.

Al.