Need help about a Question about the Minimal Voltage for the H & M Duette!!! Got a bit stuck!!!

Thank you RB51

@ Going Spare :- Even thou I haven't used my Scalextric in many years - I do believe that the  Scalextric Cars do use a different Motor than the Motors in the Locos I think, so it is differcult to say really!!! 🤔🚂

Going Spare

There are entirely too many variables to determine why the voltage on one is higher that the others.

Friction and Stiction in motor/mechanism

Cogging of motor

Cleanliness of track / wheels / commutator / brushes 

As JJ points out, different motor = different characteristics, like nominal resistance 

What JJ's questioner wanted was the base voltage of the controller, with a locomotive on track, slow speed.  That fellow is looking for the best controller to get slow speed and thinks this is the way to find it.

Bee

Edited by What About The Bee
Two, to, too

Hi JJ, both Scalextric / slot cars and model railways require reliable motors, but there's a fundamental difference.

Slot cars require more revs and generally rely on motor reliability at a reasonable to higher revving rotational speed - standard are I think 18k (rpm) maximum, but can nearly double that (I've had a few 25k motors which were quite fun!!)

Model railways do require a designed in calculated speed, but this won't be huge.  The important thing for railways is torque - turning force - and from low voltage / low revs, to permit nice, realistic-looking departures from stations.  

Obviously gearing can help here - it's been said Britannia, Castle, King locomotives might be a little too high-geared, compromising their low speed performance.  A little creativity I find on the throttle overcomes this generally, leaving you with an impressive express passenger locomotive!

Al.

Edited by atom3624

Hi JJ,

This is the next step.  Here is what Alex was asking.

large.JJsTest.jpg.491a9712fc662f185b2ecae4b5c36074.jpg

He wanted to know what your controller does in the little blue circle, when the VDC is small.

Your testing shows when motion starts. Notice your numbers are all above 1.5 VDC?  The locomotive starts moving when the VDC is high enough.  

But the video also shows the lowest VDC your controller can make.  It is around 0.3 VDC.  The reading does not go 0.0, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5 on the meter.  It goes 0.0, 0.3, without showing 0.1 or 0.2.  This is the dead zone.  

You should do the test again.  Set your vertical slide bar to 5 instead of 20.  This means no more than 5 VDC.  NEVER GO ABOVE 5 VDC.  

Slowly, really slowly turn up the controller.  What is the smallest VDC you can get?  Stop before you reach 5 VDC or you can ruin your meter!!

Bee