Airfix (what else) 1/72 F-105F Thunderchief

A J Rimmer

I managed to get a bit more time on this today and filled the gaps around the fin, fuselage and wing-roots with perfect plastic putty. I've then added a bit of Revell filler to the upper sides of the fuselage where there is a slight step. I suspect that most of this will be sanded off as the fit is really rather good. 

I also noticed that a bit of the wing leading edge hadn't glued properly, so I've run  bit of Tamiya extra-thin down it. 

spacer.png

Cheers! 

• Like 2

Fascinating build of a type I had never considered doing, until now. 
It’s also interesting to see different approaches to the use of perfect plastic putty. I’d really like to see how the spine looks once you’ve sanded it. 
I must admit that my approach is different. Once applied and worked into gaps or steps, I smooth it down with a wet paper towel or finger to the point where no sanding is necessary, which saves me from leaving unsightly marks on the surrounding surface. 

• Like 1

Oh sorry, the filler on the nose is normal Revell Plasto filler. The PPP I've used on the wing roots and around the fin, and I use it in the same way you do - I find it excellent for filling small gaps. 

• Thanks 1

Just started getting some paint on the beast, having fitted the clear parts. Generally good fitting, although I had some fit issues with the front cockpit parts and had to fill some gaps with some PPP. Primer is Ultimate Primer brushed on, and lower gret is the grey from the Hataka USAF SEA paint set. I had to undercoat it with Humbrol #64 grey (superb paint imho) just to lighten the primer, as the light grey is pretty thin and doesn't cover well - I'm on coat number 3 and will probably need another. 

spacer.png

spacer.png 

I've also started painting up the U/C bays with a Citadel white (I forget which one). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Thanks, It's the front end of a P-47 I built. I'll create a gallery one day and put them in

Ian

Very cool Ian - I do like a Thunderbolt.

I keep meaning to do that as well - I've never really made use of the Galleries on forums, I should do really. 

Edited by A J Rimmer

@Dominic Thomas will do! It does indeed have some seriously large panel lines. They're not quite as bad as the good old Matchbox trenches, being a bit finer detailed, but still pretty substantial. It's certainly not going to hurt having a good few coats of paint on them. I do also like the surface details they've added, like all the sunken vents etc. 

• Like 1

Been slowing working on the painting - not my most favourite part of the build but one I try to do as well as I can. 

The brown has had one coat and needs a couple more, I just applied a bit of the two greens to see how it looked. This is brush painted with a USAF Hataka blue-line set. To be honest, I'm not having great results with the paints - this set seems to be lacking in colour density, but I'll make the best I can of them. Using a dark grey primer didn't help. Strange though as I normally get good results from Hataka and enjoy working with them. 

spacer.png

Cheers! 

Hi Ian, It's not so much that they're blue line - I have a lot of Hataka paints, they're my main paint brand and I've been using them from pretty much day one - I still even have some pots with the original black lids before they colour coded them...

spacer.png

I generally use both Blue and Red line for brush painting, and both work well normally, but for some reason this particular boxing is a bit on the translucent side and the colour density is a bit low. That's not the norm in my experience - unless the formula has changed or this is an old box. They'll look okay after about four coats but it's obviously a fair bit of work on a four tone scheme to get that far, and I have a low boredom threshold lol! 

Cheers!

Edited by A J Rimmer
  • Like 2

From your photo, it looks to like only the brown has the issue. 
I don’t expect this to be of much use to you but the brown I’m currently using is a bit wishy-washy so without a primer I just slap on two coats over the whole of the upper surface. The brown density is then reasonable. This then acts as the primer for those areas needing the disruptive green. It gives a not too bad result.

• Like 2

@Dominic Thomas Thanks, yes that's pretty much what I do too - I just added the greens to see how they looked. Normally (or when I can be bothered lol!) I use Tamiya grey primer or even Humbrol #1 with are both lighter than the one I used on this build, that would have helped - but the other was closer to hand lol! 

I'm sure it'll look okay after a few coats. 

• Like 2

Thanks! 

Airfix make some stunning kits now, but back in the day they had a much wider range of subjects with some interesting types. They used to make a (for then) lot more modern jets than they do now. Basic in detail maybe, but generally good in shape. I find them quite fun to build. 

• Like 3

Well I added another coat of the tan, and then I blocked in the two-tone greens. Now I've got a rough idea of what colour is supposed to be where I can add extra coats, do a LOT of tiding up and sort out the canopy. It needs masking and a few gaps filling with Perfect Plastic Putty. 

Over all I'm pretty pleased with how it's going, if only because I've had a mental block about painting SEA camouflage for years - which is a bit of a problem if you like building USAF aircraft.   

spacer.png

Cheers! 

• Like 2

Coming on very well. 👏🏻 

This scheme always reminds me of the early WWII French fighter camouflage 

IMG_4495.thumb.jpeg.8f9e11be2373302c658a0d28153d85af.jpeg

I had great difficulty finding the shades for this. In fact all three have different paints applied in an attempt to find one that looked right to me. Not I was successful. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dominic Thomas said:

Coming on very well. 👏🏻 

This scheme always reminds me of the early WWII French fighter camouflage 

IMG_4495.thumb.jpeg.8f9e11be2373302c658a0d28153d85af.jpeg

I had great difficulty finding the shades for this. In fact all three have different paints applied in an attempt to find one that looked right to me. Not I was successful. 

Oh I don't know, they don't look far off - I'd be happy with it.

Thanks! 

• Thanks 1