Masking Tape

Does any one know of a translucent masking tape that I can use so that I can see what I'm masking. Needs to be suitable for modelling ie low tack.

I need to paint the inside of this white band red, leaving a very thin border of white

CAMERA_IMG_2024_09_06_14_00_41.thumb.jpeg.59138bc65e5a4b4942a22ff2ed09e4c8.jpeg

Cheers

Ian

I had an idea about masking the Miles Master. When I was at Art School we used this stuff called Frisk Film (which I just happen to have a roll of). My reference book - AIRfile RAF Trainers Volume 1: 1918-1945 ISBN 978-0-9569802-4-3 just happens to illustrate in 1/72 scale.
52734972624_e976b8f032_z.jpg
I could place a sheet of glass over the page, peel the Frisk Film from the chequered backing sheet.
52735132210_b7347c6f86_z.jpg
Stick it to the glass and cut out the camouflage pattern with a sharp scalpel and transfer the mask onto the model.
52735198973_a48dd33ef6_z.jpg

The only thing is that it's not low tack and you stand the risk of lifting previous paintwork.
  • Like 1

Nice idea though, perhaps a coat of varnish might prevent the previous coat from being lifted?

Any hoo, it didn't turn out too bad today. Just have the other side to do now. Also realised I don't have any medium sea grey for the lettering.

CAMERA_IMG_2024_09_06_21_49_19.thumb.jpeg.029c3fc6a31bb428018c06e5774cead7.jpeg

• Like 5

I use this. Often I make a photo copy of the instructions, sometimes I’ll enlarge them to scale , I cut out the camo pattern from the copy and trace it onto the masking. Cut out the camo with a scissors and stick to the model. This is relatively low tack and I haven’t pulled paint yet . 

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@modeling maniac lol! You're not wrong! I've got to bite the bullet at some point though - as I said I'd build if for my wife - she used to work for the company that operated it. It took me years to find the kit with the Microlease decals but I've since been put off by how on earth to mask the scheme lol! Makes the rigging look easy.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

There are "printers"? you can buy that cut out masking sheets.

Or you could try printing your own decals. I think you can buy decal paper to print on. Just off to research now 🙂

Ian

Might work for the cheat lines actually, that's a good suggestion. I do have decals for the 'Microlease' etc. but its the red and white that'll cause me issues.  

• Like 1

I’ve no idea how to mask that. 
I would say that after you have decided on your initial masking approach, try looking at the inverse to see if it’s any easier.
In other words, mask the white base and add the red, or mask a red base. 
I’ve never tried this with paint so it might be hogwash. I have however done it with rigging and it was easier. 

Edited by Dominic Thomas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, A J Rimmer said:

Cools tips all! If anyone has any suggestions on how on earth to mask this - in 1/72 - I'd be grateful!

White base coat, then mask off the red with Tamiya tape for curves. 

tamiya-87177-masking-tape-for-curves.thumb.jpg.db8c6d40b80cc1f666a66baa92a3649c.jpg

I do have a cutting plotter, but in all honesty it would take as long to design the masks as it would to use the flexible tape. I'd say difficult, but not impossible with the tape. 

• Like 2

I was think of the cutter for the Microlease logo but as AJ says, he already has decals for that. I think you're right @peebeep, Tamiya tape for curves may be the answer. I've used it before and it is nice and flexible.

Ian

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I was think of the cutter for the Microlease logo

Ah, right, that would make sense. It would still take a while to create the design, although if you could find near plan/side view images that would reduce the time quite a bit.

• Like 2