My 'Budget Model Railway Layout' build

Ask yourself a question. How many times has someone bought a Hornby starter set (or any train set for that matter) either for themselves or for their kids and then have wanted to take the next step? How many times have those people gone to a model railway club or, more likely, to a model railway show and become intimidated at only seeing the large, expensive-to-build, manpower-intensive-to-run layouts with complex wiring, controls and the like? How many of those train sets then STAY a train set in a box because these people feel that they don't have the time/skills/tools/space to construct these large layouts?

Having talked to a number of people at a few model train shows and model railway groups and after finding that the answer to the first question seems to be 'Many', I have commenced a project build which is designed to be displayed at shows and events as a 'Budget' layout, which is meant to show people that your first layout can be simple, relatively cheap and still give good results as well as be used to help give you confidence in your model and model railway building skills.

So, starting with a Hornby 'Network Traveller' OO scale starter set and a budget of $500 AUD I have begun to construct a small (120cmx120cm) 'Trainset Layout' which should be able to give new railway modellers something nice looking to run trains on. The intention is to display this layout at model train shows with two signs on the front, one being the rational behind the build and its inspiration while the second will be a cost breakdown of this project as well as the list of tools used.  The Scenery and Structures will be based on a light railway in the UK.

I have swapped out the 3rd Radius Curves from the train set for a set of 2nd Radius that I had already but this was done purely for portability of the layout and will be reflected in the final write-up.

So far I am $200 AUD into the $500 AUD budget and am now having to find do the structures, scenery and ballasting etc for less than $300 AUD.

The budget Model Railway Build.jpg

20240904_142933.jpg

photo_2024-09-08_18-56-41.jpg

• Like 2

I like this idea and I'm currently working on something that's arguably similar although perhaps a less restrictive budget. My plan makes use of 4x 3ft x2ft boards which will stack to create a roughly 6x4ft layout that's basic but enough and I'm using the LMS Night Mail set as a basis (but also down to 2nd radius curves).

Are the boards fixed together or are they detachable? I guess 4ft x 4ft is right at the edge of what's portable if you have a large enough car.

It reminds me of the train set layout that Chris Nevard built in it's ethos - https://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/2019/03/trainset.html

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Edited by moawkwrd

39 minutes ago, moawkwrd said:

I like this idea and I'm currently working on something that's arguably similar although perhaps a less restrictive budget. My plan makes use of 4x 3ft x2ft boards which will stack to create a roughly 6x4ft layout that's basic but enough and I'm using the LMS Night Mail set as a basis (but also down to 2nd radius curves).

Are the boards fixed together or are they detachable? I guess 4ft x 4ft is right at the edge of what's portable if you have a large enough car.

It reminds me of the train set layout that Chris Nevard built in it's ethos - https://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/2019/03/trainset.html

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

It is not detachable, that panel line is just because the easily available sheeting that I grabbed were 120cm x 90cm and I needed 120x120 to fit the bare minimum layout with some operational interest (sidings etc) and unfortunately will need to be transported either in a trailer or the back of a ute but given that the average first layout is not intended to be mobile it is not the end of the world.

I am also using nothing but simple hand tools like most people would have access to (hammer, hand saws, chisel etc) and am starting to wish that I paid more attention in woodworking class 22 years ago lol. Not only have i got the restrictive budget but to add extra incentive the first event it is to be displayed at is in November so i get the time crunch as well lol. I do not make smart decisions.

Edited by Trevor-1284476
Posted reply in the quote box by accident

I like the ethos behind your modelling. It really does not need to be expensive. I work on a budget of £12.00 for a loco, £3.00 for a wagon and £5.00 for a carriage to include code 75 compatible wheels and near scale link couplings. It can be done. Good luck with your endeavours 

Tonight's photo of the progress made. In this case I have finished cutting the foam that will make up the hillside for the tunnel. It should also be noted that the structures are not for use on this layout and are instead from another planned project and are only standing in to give an idea of where I should put various structures once i finish constructing them.

image.jpeg

• Like 3