Hornby 4-6-2 Gladiateur Repair

I have a Hornby 4-6-2 Gladiateur (sic) loco, running number 2569, which has a DCC ready chassis (non flywheel). Unfortunately the body and tender top were exposed to sunlight heat and have both warped badly.

As the 'Gladiateur' body is hard to source I was wondering if there might be any suitable alternative bodies that would fit this motorised chassis (which runs superbly by the way). I was hoping to obtain something readily available on the second hand market if possible, but any alternative body suggestions would be most welcome.

This is my first post so apologies if I have not followed forum protocol

DSCF0569.JPG

DSCF0570.JPG

DSCF0571.JPG

Depending on the nature and extent of the warping it might be possible to correct it by immersion of the body in hot water, manipulation of the softened plastic and immersion in cold water to set it again Worth a try if the only alternative is to scrap it 

You really have nothing to lose @Peter-1202310

While you will never get it factory straight, you will get it plenty good enough.  Use a metal ruler to get the running board straight.  The secret sauce is plenty of patience.  Move it a little at a time.  As Three Link says, warm it up, a little bend, cool it down.  Take your time between bends to study your next move.

The railways didn't run pristine locomotives either.  They got banged up and abused by the railways.  

Good Luck!

Bee

Non-runners will turn up on auction sites.  Make a precise match search and an alert when one is listed.  You can get a new body from a hulk. 

• Like 1

If you would like to find an exact replacement, the loco originally formed part of train pack R2598 with 'Queen of Scots' Pullman coaches in, I believe, 2005 or 2006.  Other A1 loco's in LNER green issued with the same chassis and Great Northern tender include R2405 1470N Great Northern and R2549 4475 Flying Fox.  The choice is rather limited (others may know of further loco's) because it was not long before Hornby moved the decoder socket to the tender and made provision for a speaker as well which necessitated redesigning the tender chassis which may have altered how the tender body attaches to the chassis.  Using a complete later-specification tender would not be a straight swap either as the loco-to-tender drawbar and electrical connections were also changed.