A J's Wishlist

A J Rimmer

Dear Mr. Airfix. 

Isn't it about time you re-released this rather spiffing kit, possibly one of the nicest 1/72 Spitfire kits I've ever built, and fill the rather large hole of important Spitfire marks you have in your range. It's blooming impossible to get hold easily and deserves more love. 

spacer.png

And why you're at it - how about that metal wing for your 1/72 Hurricane, and a re-jigged Hurricane mk.II?

Yours Truly 

2nd Technician Arnold Judas Rimmer BSc SSc

• Like 2

I liked it, but there are some fit issues and compared with more recent kits the cockpit is a bit sparse. It's a bit surprising it's not had more re-releases, only the one I think. Maybe there's a problem with the tooling? 

19.jpg.daa3d6ad5356931d1d7d99cb93a9db49.jpg

• Like 2

I'm surprised to be honest, having built a couple I thought it was an excellent little kit - the lack of a cockpit in a 1/72 Spitfire never bothered me too much, you can see so little of the cockpit through the canopy anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A J Rimmer said:

the lack of a cockpit in a 1/72 Spitfire never bothered me too much, you can see so little of the cockpit through the canopy anyway. 

Fair comment, but the hobbyist end of the market, even back in the mid noughties, would have been expecting a bit more and the PR XIX of roughly similar vintage comes reasonably well equipped. The PR XIX has also had more availability. It's very curious, especially as the 109G - which is actually a poor representation of a 109G (but a hoot to build) - has been re-released on multiple occasions. That's why I suspect that there may be an issue with the tooling, I may be wrong, but otherwise I'd expect it to be re-released at least as often as the 109. 

• Like 1