BP Shell tanks

Silver Fox 17

The original tanker model was ‘put out to the factory’ according to Carl from Hornby, quite what that really means I don’t know as the cad is definitely Hornby. I think they possibly mean that they sent the files over and the factory sent finished models, no specific UK evaluation. It has been a problem and judging by other comments Carl made, it was one model that would get some re-working to bring it in line with the standards of others. There have been lots of little examples of models being tweaked and improved so they are being very reactive. Making in a whole new scale, particularly a smaller one is quite a big deal although they have expertise at Arnold. 

• Like 1

I like your comment about Arnold Matt.  Just a thought. I wonder as they own Arnold, if there is a reason why Hornby haven't called on their experience of building in tt-120? As we all know there is a big difference in size from 00 down to tt-120 and therefore requires more finesse and care in assembly particularly as Hornby are clearly trying to incorporate as much detail into such small models. Maybe they should consider factories who build N scale as I would have thought the step up to building larger should be easier.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

The original tanker model was ‘put out to the factory’ according to Carl from Hornby, quite what that really means I don’t know as the cad is definitely Hornby. I think they possibly mean that they sent the files over and the factory sent finished models, no specific UK evaluation. It has been a problem and judging by other comments Carl made, it was one model that would get some re-working to bring it in line with the standards of others. There have been lots of little examples of models being tweaked and improved so they are being very reactive. Making in a whole new scale, particularly a smaller one is quite a big deal although they have expertise at Arnold. 

I think that he made a similar comment about the 08.  I imagine that he meant that they gave the factory too much control and the end result could have been better.  That said, my very limited experience of such things suggests that, even if they're in the same building, design and production have different and often conflicting ideas!

Regarding barrier wagons, some fuels are more flammable than others so that might explain the absence of these on some trains?  Perhaps the giveaway might have been the steam valves on heavy oil wagons to heat the tar like contents to persuade them to flow at the point of discharge (I imagine that heavy oil is also very much a thing of the past).

Might be worth mentioning that the word used in the distant past  for "flammable" was "inflammable".  It was changed for obvious reasons...

I don't think they have them now, except on nuclear trains where they use them to protect the train crew from radiation, I believe.  In this context a Clss 20 diesel can be a barrier "wagon" (sort of)

2 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

Playing it safe @Tim Allen with two vent vans 😁 no one needs fire on a layout 

Well I thought with it being near to bonfire night if I used the boxed wagons I could ship the fireworks at the same time. Who said railways can’t be efficient!!

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

Excellent Tim, just the job.

You have a fair few tankers there, very impressive, as are all the 21T mineral wagons.

That's the beauty of TT:120 for me, I can have my 6x4 layout with some impressive rakes and multiple trains.

• Like 4