eLink Confusion

DaveAus

Ok not sure where this post belongs but that's only part of the confusion. If I want to drive my DCC setup via a PC and RailMaster is my Elite controller now redundant. do I just need a PC with RailMaster software and the eLink module. Seems at 1amp it's

not got the drive power of the Elite ?????

You can use either the eLink or the Elite with RailMaster, or even both together as RailMaster supports two DCC controllers (one for locos and the other for points and signals, should you desire more power).

The Elite power supply of 4amps is also

compatible with the eLink, so you can swap them if you have both controllers, or you can buy the extra 4amp supply to replace the eLink 1amp supply. RailMaster should control around 10 locos comfortably with a 1amp supply if you are running your locos at scale

speed.

Your Elite, therefore, is not redundant.

But if you now want to start with DCC, you have the option of going eLink/Railmaster and never buying an Elite. It's also a cheaper upgrade path from the Select and never buy an Elite. Note the 2013 range has a couple of sets with eLink/Railmaster and

no controller.

@LMSTim, are there any manuals around that describe the e-link.

It seems an interesting product at a very aggressive price point. (285 pounds for elite + rail master; 85 for e-link + rail master; throw in 40 extra for the 4A supply)

Unless

the issue has been addressed there has been a persistent reliability issue with the elite over the pc interface where throttle and point commands are periodically lost. This has been reflected in the rail master discussions re "send the same command twice"

does

the e-link exhibit the same issues?

I think I'd rather have my Elite as a standby in the event of RailMaster failure. This has served me well in the past when RailMaster updates initially failed. There would be no such standby with the eLink by the looks of it, because, on its own, it will

not be a controller as such.

stevecamden said:

Presumambly, for current Elite/RM users - the elink box 'sits' between the PC and the Elite acting as a router?

No. You simply don't need the Elite. The elink and software replaces the Elite or Select entirely,

it's a complete system on its own, although I believe you can use the Elite's 4 Amp power supply to replace the 1 amp one that comes with the elink.

poliss said:

Could the confusion be because the eLink and RailMaster Combination Pack Product Code: R8312 shows an Elite in the photo?
Yes, that is confusing and misleading and could lead to people thinking they had to buy an Elite

as well as the elink package.

Logically, you can't use them together. You would be generating 2 DCC signals and if you connect both to the track, they'll interfere with each other. The only way you could do it would be to have 2 completely isolated districts with an isolated section

longer than your longest train in between and DPDT switches at each end. At least that is what my logic tells me.

Given each can run more locos and accessories than anyone will ever have (he says confidently), why would you want to, especially once you

have wireless remotes via RM?

• 4 months later...

@Telo

I can understand your annoyance but I imagine that (if the e-link is not to be sold separately) Hornby assume that anyone who has RailMaster now, must have an Elite as well otherwise it cannot be used.

My view would be, for people who are just

about to start digital and who would like to operate using a PC, then go for the e-link/RailMaster combination because it offers a potentially cheaper route.

However, I bought my Elite first and then RailMaster and I am pleased to have the capability of

being to 'take control' manually whenever I want. This is not an option with e-link as ALL commands are made on the PC.

It is not a different version of RM and I'd be pretty certain that Hornby's thinking is as RDS suggests. You could just think of it as buying eLink gets you a second RM licence for free and you can use it on a separate computer to development work on your

programs away from the layout.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are Hornby advertising it in the model railway press already then, as if it were already available? Or have I missed some sort of qualification concerning actual delivery date in such adverts? I'm trapped in my room by a carpet fitter on the landing

at the moment, so I can't check just yet.

• 2 months later...

I can't understand why those with elite's are moaning about wanting to use the older technology. Stick to what your happiest with and leave the technology for the Kryten's of this world.

Personally it's made me take to task the building of a new

switch board and have the elite to run everything else. A 4 amp booster on the elink directly affects what it is capable of and to some point futurities it all. In all I have 10 amp so guarded me for a few years, and take the upgrades as they come.

I

want more time with my scenery and now have it. I have easily recorded 3 planned setup's to keep me amused.

Out with the old and in with the new!

• 3 years later...
But if you now want to start with DCC, you have the option of going eLink/Railmaster and never buying an Elite. It's also a cheaper upgrade path from the Select and never buy an Elite. Note the 2013 range has a couple of sets with eLink/Railmaster and

no controller.

I want to drive a set of 4 locos with a computer.  Reading the above I do not need the Select controller that I have if I get an E-link and a power unit.  Is that correct?

JimW

@mijj

Welcome to the Forum.  As Fishy says you can control your 4 Loco's with the Standard eLink and RM package.  

You do not need the Select to do this but you may wish to keep it as a spare or even as a Walkabout Controller if you should ever decide to change to the Elite Controller with it's 4 Amp Power Supply.

@mijj

Welcome to the Forum.  As Fishy says you can control your 4 Loco's with the Standard eLink and RM package.  

You do not need the Select to do this but you may wish to keep it as a spare or even as a Walkabout Controller if you should ever decide to change to the Elite Controller with it's 4 Amp Power Supply.

It looks as if Railmaster is no longer available except for the trial version. I presume it is in the E-link as standard.

I want to run at least four locos (power booster required I assume)  and I'd like to program their movements.  I'd also like to do the same (program their operation that is) with the turnouts or points.  Perhaps even include lights and barriers for rail/road crossings. 

Does this affect the recommendation?

Jim.

@mijj

It looks as if Railmaster is no longer available except for the trial version. I presume it is in the E-link as standard.

I want to run at least four locos (power booster required I assume)  and I'd like to program their movements.  I'd also like to do the same (program their operation that is) with the turnouts or points.  Perhaps even include lights and barriers for rail/road crossings. 

Does this affect the recommendation?

Jim.

Archived