Hornby select point control

DEWINNES

Glad you got there in the end. Electronics and computers are the same - you don't learn anything while they are working, only when they aren't. And the good thing is that you've now had some practice at isolating a fault through a process of eliminating

all the things that work until you find the one that doesn't.

DEWINNES said:

Just to say thanks for all your advice I changed both decoders and now all the points work fine its been a learning curve but got there in the end and learnt something on the way thanks to all involved
David DEWINNES

Hi
Glad

to read you have got your points operating correctly now.
Where you able to return the decoders as defective under warranty?

• 9 months later...

Hello again,

The points only worked once and then failed again with all the same problems. I just gave up and have only come back to it now. Too busy with other things. I think I should send them back to Hornby via post. The digital system for my

son for the trains is great its the point decoders that have been a nightmare.

They just don't have the power to move the points. Is this a known problem or just me.

Kind Regards David

Dave, there is no known problem with them not having enough power. There has been a problem with reliability though with a number reporting on here that decoders have been faulty and replaced by Hornby. So I would ring Customer Care first and see what

they say.

Fishmanoz said:

Dave, there is no known problem with them not having enough power. There has been a problem with reliability though with a number reporting on here that decoders have been faulty and replaced by Hornby. So I would ring Customer

Care first and see what they say.

I have contacted Hornby thanks. I have checked point decoders and its connections 1 and 2 again on both decoders that dont work. Connections 3 and 4 work fine and operate points. I think if they all worked it would have been a good system.

Cheers David

Good test magfan. If you follow back through this thread though, David has gone through a full fault finding routine with me, including swapping known working motors from the port 3/4 side of the decoder where they work, to putting them on the port 1/2

side where they don't.

From this, it is 99% certain that the decoders are faulty, just as many others found around 10 months ago when David first had the problem. While they haven't said so, I also believe that the faulty batch of decoders that gave

rise to all of the problems then are the reason they are out of stock now while they try to fix the problem and get good stock out of China.

Archived