Restoring old track

Charlesd1973

I'm new to model railway, I have just bought the Hornby mixed freight DCC set, and want to build my young son a nice layout. I also inherited a large supply of track (flexi, standard curves, points etc) from my brother who pulled a layout out of a new

house he bought, however when I connect any of the older track to the new set, the train stops as soon as it reaches it. Is there any way I can restore/clean this old track, so that it will work with the new set, to save me have to buy all new track for a

bigger layout? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you cleaned the old track? In the absence of a proper track rubber use alcohol on a lint free cloth to clean the surfaces. Make sure the underside of the rail at each end is clean too as this is where the electrical connection between sections of

track is made.

What's the old track made of?
Modern track is usually nickel solver which doesn't corrode easily and is fairly easy to bring back to life. Older track could be steel with a thin non corrosive coating on it which should be treated carefully so as not

to remove the coating.
Test the track with a magnet. Steel track will stick to the magnet while nickel silver won't

Archived