Railmaster with r8247 issue

Hi guys, some help please!!

I am running railmaster with a r8247 point decoder.

I am finding that it works fine with some old peco point motors, however when i try either the hornby surface mounted motor or standard hornby point motor that it only

fires in one direction, it attempts to fire in the other way but does not seem to have enough power, there is just a very faint click with no movement?

I should stress that they are all brand new hornby point motors.

This seems a little strange that

it works fine with a peco product but not hornby, any ideas please, as its driving me crazy.

Many thanks in advance.

I've had similar issues, it's mostly been caused because the point motor arm rubs on the sleeper. Fine when it's pulling but not when it's pushing. Have either loosened off the screws to raise the point motor or in some cases modified (shaved) the end

of the sleeper. Don't cut them off as I did once as the draw bar drags. All the points up and working with railmaster has been a highlight. Another thing I have had to do on a couple of points is use the reverse mode (railmaster point control) but I don't

think that's your issue.

After you check the wiring, Dave's suggestion would have been my next. Make sure everything around the points is perfectly flat, that the motors are properly aligned and the mounting screws for the motors are not down tight. One of those will be the cause.

Fishmanoz said:

After you check the wiring, Dave's suggestion would have been my next. Make sure everything around the points is perfectly flat, that the motors are properly aligned and the mounting screws for the motors are not down tight.

One of those will be the cause.

Hi thank you so much for your replies.

I don't think it can be any of these issues, due to not actually connecting the motors to the points yet or screwing them to the baseboard, i just have just laid them loose on the board.

It seems so strange

because the wires are all correct and the old Peco points work perfectly well when I connect them to the terminals, it seems unlikely that i have several faulty Hornby point motors.

Im really not sure....

Thank you again for your replies.

check that you have the black wire into the common of the decoder - its not the same with peco points as Hornby's. But try it without connecting to the point and see if it throws with a good punch. Also, how are you getting the power to the decoder?

I use a bus wire rather than a feed from the track.

Lastly, I have lots of the Hornby ones and they work fine.

Archived