Elite not working

I

I recently tried to upgrade my Elite controller firmware from 1.0 to 1.41. The computer said Update Failed after seemingly completing the task, and now my Elite won't start up in the normal mode to run trains. HELP!

Even when the elite imitates a brick it is almost always possible to bring it back to life using the bootload procedure (firmware download).

Many people have loaded the firmware successfully. Some have had a lot of difficulties and we have never

understood a systematic reason for this - finger trouble, pc issues, elite bug.....

I agree with Roj and Greg, but you certainly have to follow the instructions meticulously. Make sure you:

- disconnect your Elite from everything including track, USB and power

- start in Upgrade Mode by holding the Stop button then connecting power

and continuing to hold Stop for 15 seconds, then do similarly for the USB cable

- having installed the driver, do go to Device Manager in Windows and find which port the Elite is connected to and specify this address when asked by the update program

-

do run the update program program by right clicking on it and Run as Administrator

- if it doesn't work the first time, try again and do so a number of times if necessary. Mine worked second time

Forgot to mention - in Win 8 64-bit Device Manager my pc does not report the Elite as a named Port, so I have to guess which one it is by disconnecting and reconnecting the USB lead and taking note of which port disappears / reappears.

Railmaster is

pretty good at picking the right port number.

Rob

And I, after you do the uninstalls as suggested, start again by reading every word in the instructions with new eyes. It's possible that while you think you are following them, you've made a mistake unknowingly, then are just repeating that mistake when

you try again.

I'm betting you will get there though.

If you can be bothered, could you explain what you did, start to finish?

It is clear from all the posts on this, the Windows version is irrelevant. Sometimes though, people have found it worked on a different computer.

I booted up the laptop, held stop on the controller, plugged the power in, stopped holding stop after 15 seconds, plugged the computer in after another 15 seconds, and then, after at least 15 seconds, clicked on the updater, clicked run, as I am an administrator,

clicked next, checked the com port was correct, clicked download, waited until the bar went to the end, and then it keeps saying "Update Fail!". I then unplug everything and start again.

I booted up the laptop, held stop on the controller, plugged the power in, stopped holding stop after 15 seconds, plugged the computer in after another 15 seconds, and then, after at least 15 seconds, clicked on the updater, clicked run, as I am an administrator,

clicked next, checked the com port was correct, clicked download, waited until the bar went to the end, and then it keeps saying "Update Fail!". I then unplug everything and start again.

Really annoying when that happens isn't it I. It traps me into it from time to time, even though I look out for it.

Thanks for going through that procedure for me - I think I see your problem. I'm going to assume that, even though you haven't described

going to Device Manager to confirm the Comm port, you've done so and not just used the port the Update installer has selected without checking.

Your problem though is a Windows security feature introduced into Vista and continued in 7 and 8 - the feature

distinguishes between you as a user and you as the administrator and doesn't let you act as administrator unless you specifically tell it so. In this case, the way you tell it is by right clicking on the Update installer file and selecting Run as Administrator.

So, again assuming you have to port correct, right click, Run as Administrator, and I think your problem will be solved.

Geochoice, I believe you are one of only a few forum posters who has had had a faulty Elite. In fact, the only other one I can remember is someone whose programming track outlet was not operating.

Yes, a number have firmware upgrade problems but

all have solved it themselves eventually or with Margate free and short turnaround assistance. But the forum stories tell us that the Elite is an ultimately reliable and capable piece of kit with you the exception who got the lemon. And with your experience,

I don't blame you for not going back, or for telling others that it can happen.

Good heavens, if I keep going like this, I'll be on the TnT payroll soon. The reason is simply though, in general Hornby do a great job and the hobby would be oodles poorer without them. But that doesn't mean they are infallible and beyond questioning

by and possible improvements suggested from lots of their supporters.

Given the number of attempts that you have made and are getting no further forwards. I would give Hornby customer care a call on Monday morning. This happened to me and I sent my Elite to them and in less than a working week I had it back working again

and it only cost me the postage back to Margate. Really excellent service I thought.

Archived