Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

They are gold dust unfortunately.

No real alternatives.

I think I purchased a 'trashed' coach just for couplings last year.

Must be a market for somebody handy in 3D printing?

Al.

Or an opportunity for an average skilled modeller to raid his spares box and fettle the coach to suit.

/media/tinymce_upload/aa9959d4ef90699dd1d8348950cdf57c.jpg 

The other part of the pack - the Boshe Buster. Getting the 15 axles onto the track was not as difficult as I thought. The wheels are arranged in four bogies paired together to make two sub assemblies vomprising  eight axles and 7.

So far I have tested it around a small radius PECO streamline point with no problems but have yet to take it up the colliery branch to see how it goes around the set track ones.

One minor issue is that the steps at the right end of the vehicle foul with wagons on the adjacent track around my 50" radius curves but it seems OK on the straight. However I have tet to take it all the way around the layout.

One thing that might disapoint people is that the gun barrel appears fixed in the horizontal position for travelling but that desn't bother me.

Does anyone know if this gun travelled in one piece as an out of gauge load or was it broaken down?

My 10 yr old Select controller now uprated to v1.6.......posted to Hornby 1st Aug and returned today.........excellent service and just £15.......has made this controller much more useable especially for sound decoders.

Pity our friend Fishy in Oz can't get his Select upgraded due to exhorbitant postage charges so his will undoubtedly remain the proverbial doorstop......... 😮.........HB

Nice.

The French "export" versions fitted with the continental type loop couplings.

Funny that the wheel arrangements are still in the "standard" Whyte notation.

The continental system counts axles instead of wheels.

So the R.150SF, B12 4-6-0 would be a 2-3-0...

And the R.259SF Britannia 4-6-2 would be a Pacific 2-3-1.

Maybe no one told Margate, or wherever the labels were printed?

Hi Sarah,I hope that is your name, or do you prefer Sarahagain?

Well I take my hat off to you, you sure know your Hornby trains.As those particular ones appear in The Ramsey guide I have been looking for quite a while at toyfairs and lately on-line.

I have seen a couple before, but none in boxes so I passed on them as they were bringing quite a premium.

Hi Paulali, Is the trainpack you have made in UK or a early China version.Base plates have on them where they wer made.

Also I have been looking for a while, with no sucess, for that particular set with the Virgin press office number on the side.

Quite  a while ago a saw a You tube presentation and he had one.

R2811 Rolling Road, plus Spare rollers.  Also a Trix class 124 transpennine twin set.  This was very noisy when I tested it, wouldn’t have needed a sound chip!  However, I saw that the motor block was very slightly out of line, corrected this and now much quieter (not sure which I preferred lol). Runs nicely and a good condition for a late 60s/early 1970s bit of kit.

Rod

Recent online auction purchase for not very much at all. Less than £10 including postage and all bought as non-runners. I only got them as I wanted the motor (if it worked) and the smokebox door of the continental tank MK2 256. However, on testing with no cleaning whatsoever they all worked apart from the Nellie and this was quickly traces to someone having wound the pick-up around the screws in the baseplate and soldering a wire across the brushes to make two dead shorts. I have tested the motor and it is a great runner so will take the time to fix it. The body is almost perfect so i will print off two new nameplates and replace the body of my other ‘keeper’ for this loco. The bit of wire visible in the photo is what’s left of the pick up.

The 256 has a bit of plastic broken off the front but as I only got it for spares I don’t care. The 00 Jinty has a set of steps missing (see photo) but I have a scrap body with a set to cut off and replace with. 

The TT jinty is complete but has some repairable damage to the couplings. Shame the BR logo is missing off one side!

They all need a good clean and light lubrication and I am happy with the parts I got for what I paid. The TT loco is no use to me so will be off back to auction when I get round to it as will the 00 version as I already have too many! I really would like to have some of the TT range but I have to be realistic with my space as I have to downsize my OO/HO collectionnas it is.  ☹️

/media/tinymce_upload/e74433f992a86cdbb45749b36bde1dc2.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/1a0a804a8a0f6c2f8c42a120359a4f69.jpg

Hi Sarah,I hope that is your name, or do you prefer Sarahagain?

Well I take my hat off to you, you sure know your Hornby trains.As those particular ones appear in The Ramsey guide I have been looking for quite a while at toyfairs and lately on-line.

I have seen a couple before, but none in boxes so I passed on them as they were bringing quite a premium.

Hi.

Thanks, Pat Hammond, who wrote those books on Rovex, and had a lot of input into Ramsey's, said that I could remember more about what was in those books than he did!

A really nice fellow....I wish that Rovex volume 4 would get finished, but we shall have to wait and see...

Oh, and I have one of my photos in the Ramsey's guide.

The O gauge Hornby LMS container wagon!

There were a couple more in the previous edition too, but dropped from the latest edition....

Sarah is fine...

We too are downsizing....it is a bit of a shame, but realistically, we are never going to do the mad plans we had now!

Just taken delivery of a Bachmann class 90, lovely looking model.  unfortunately, when I unpacked the loco from its clamshell, the 2 rear buffers had broken off, together with 1 light lens from the front.  The buffers, being sprung, were not repairable, and as a result have had to return immediately for a replacement, shame, but not a good reflection on the QC at Kader Towers.  Shall await to see if the replacement is ok.

Rod

Treated myself this week to a 1991 made Hornby Class 90 with live pantograph in Mainline livery as a birthday present to myself,. Hopefully it will look good on my yet to be be built live catenary layout, I have been buying a fair amount of the old triang phase 1 and 2 overhead wires and masts ready for the build, which I hope to do when I have recovered some more from the stroke I suffered last October.

I haven't bought anything loco or rolling stock wise for a while as I have been busy building my own designed control boxes that operate the point and signals, and the underboard relay PCBs and diode matrix's for the correct signal interaction to points positions. Those now work correctly and I am happy with them.

So I decided to reward myself with a new loco. I was after class 205 thumper with sound but oh dear prices far too high. Anyway a trawl of the web brought up a class 419 MLV at a reasonable £55, says it's little used and even shown on YouTube video. So waiting for it to arrive. Then 21 pin decoder time and fit and run on my layout.

Looking forward to that.

Just bought a brand new green class 37 with split headcodes Bachmann diesel. I initially baulked at the price, but then when I saw what they went for second hand, I bought one with sound fitted. When I added up how much the loco would have cost without sound and then added on the cost of a decent sound chip, the already fitted option makes sense (it saves about £20). I must admit it is really good, although I normally don't spent that much on a loco.

The Bachmann diesels are generally very good, the 37 particularly so.

For my part, I've finally got hold of a Hornby R2171 Canadian Pacific for a reasonable price - less than 3 digits as they say. Not perfect, but should receive tomorrow.

I suspect the previous owner has glued the buffers solid, fitting the steps, which have fallen off.

Cylinder draincocks have been ordered, to complement it - like my other 'preserved Merchant Navy' locos.

Al.

Reply to atom3624. I have got one of those Hornby R2171 Canadian Pacific, if it is the one I think it is. I bought it from new, years ago. I have only just got back into the hobby since I retired. I have just checked on EBay they go for stupid money. I found with mine, that it wasn't DC ready and there is no room in the loco, so I put a socket in the tender using Hornby 4 pin spare parts. I added the Hornby sound decoder and it runs really well. I did replace the tender coupling with a fixed drawbar. You probably know that you cannot easily get replacement valve gear. 

Hi CB, I don't see how these maintain 3-digit prices, so jumped at 'an opportunity'.

I've 3 rebuilt MN's already, and 2 un-rebuilt WC / BoB - one being Winston himself!

Superb looking locomotives, but always fancied 'that blue one'.

35005 is in the works now, and my guess is it'll come out of the shops ... green!!

Never mind. I'm getting non-stop 'confirmations' that it'll arrive tomorrow. I expect I'll need to work on it a little, but at least the whistle and 'cable' are intact ... some aren't there if you look closely!

Hornby con-rods and valvegear may be scale, but are quite fragile - I've had to 'geometrically correct' a couple in the last couple of days, fortunately without incident!

There are chassis being sold on 'that auction site', but not cheap.

I'm DC operation currently, but one day may go DCC.

I HATE sound in steam locos with a passion, as virtually none synchronise the beats / chuffs correctly - this would really annoy me.

There must be a simply optical eye synchronisation application somewhere,surely, as all I see on You Tube fall way short!

Perhaps its me being too picky, but I couldn't have sound unless it was correct.

Al.