Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Finally bought my first ever A4 - Mallard split from set.  And just before that, Hornby Class 156 in Scotrail Barbie; been outbid on ebay so many times at the last minute!

Nice choice on the Mallard.

Know what you mean about the 'last minute bidders' - hiding in wait until they pounce - very annoying. Main thing is don't fall for one particular item and set a budget, then strike back - do the same - 7 seconds to go normally gets the bid in. If you've set your fair limit, you won't do anything stupid like over-bidding - more than it's worth.

Al.

Got this beauty from a local model shop that was clearing out some old new stock, they were faulty items that never got returned to the maker.  All it needed was a new motor brush and spring. Best £10 I have spent in ages.

/media/tinymce_upload/48c3400f187d7be60cb35892e5a4ce28.jpg

That must be 40 years old?

I remember when they came out, I was still at school - one appeared at the model railway club, run by the Head of Georaphy in the geography storeroom!

Nice 5-pole motor and very smooth. Great for a tenner. Runs OK on 'modern track'?

Al.

Totally agree with most of Caiptean's comments.

(Secretly admits) I'll not 'show my cards' until the end if I think there's competition - that way I've decided what I believe it's worth and what my limit is - and I don't permit myself to join a bidding war.

I don't trust myself to simply visit a shop, particularly like Hattons (relatively nearby) as 'it would be rude' not to part without something!

I suspected shill bidding in a 'B' 9F I did purchase some time ago - co-bidder would raise the ante, wait for another genuine bidder besides me to bid, thus raising the 'value' and withdraw their bid - 3 times.

They were banned for one month.

There is buyer protection. These instances of complaints against the seller, swapping original article, are worrying and I find their charges near-extortionate, so whilst super convenient for an old hack like me, I can be on-the-fence as well.

Buyer and Seller beware!

I've only had one 'bad' purchase with an Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 'clicking gears' which I didn't find - through work commitments - until a couple of months later, so couldn't fairly do anything - runs OK backwards and silently so must be a 'wear thing' - future project as I like the loco!

Al.

Won on Thursday ,,,a hornby mallard gold plated 70th anniversary,complete with all boxes and all in new condition for £103 plus post,the seller listed it as brand new and you can tell it has never been touched ,well pleased ,,it now sits on the top shelf in the cabinet waiting to be joined by the Dynomometer Car when finally arrives ,,,mjb

PS ,,,I won it by submitting my bid right at the end ,I always wait untill about the last 9 seconds to submit and then confirm

Congrats - get some photos up when you can of the Mallard.

Here's a couple of photos of the USED B K3 and the NEW H Castle ... can you spot what's missing?

/media/tinymce_upload/0489f8f4cb3565f1008b20924f2bafac.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/956c9a9f900d24c0585767bc0e4d84fb.jpg

It's quite obvious.

It's uncertain where / how it happened. The clear plastic locomotive holding packaging was damaged and flattened around the smokebox door - found what's missing now? !! - I have brass replacement ones by coincidence but am waiting until I regain a little calm and patience before I fit the replacement!!

Al.

@The son of Triangman, Posted at 08:39:55 Sat, 30 Jun 2018

Wow! £10.00 for a locomotive, of that size and you need to do is replace to parts to get it to run? A good bargain. Adding the cost of the replacement parts, you are probably looking at £20.00 maximum, which is a very good, cheap price. One would lucky to get a decent 0-4-0 shunter, for £20.00, or for less.

GNR-Gordon-4

I think I might be classed as a "sniper" - I never put a bid in until there are a few seconds left. If before the end of the auction the price is higher than I'm prepared to pay I don't bother. Some of the "sniping" software used to almost guarantee you a win, but if several were using this software someone has to lose. I really can't see the point of bidding a pound a time weeks before the auction is due to end. Just mark it as "watching" and don't forget.

Should be a photo with the replacement arrowhead - off 'an auction site' - now painted black.

I noticed the lower centre lamp bracket bent and managed to straighten without 'damage' - slowly!

Unfortunately masking off for the arrowhead paint, I broke the upper lamp bracket - can't win with this loco!!

Received a recently purchased B Freightliner Class 57 and a fantastic H 50 D421.

Had to re-attach a few pieces as seems normal now, on the D421 - all is good and such a smooth runner.

'Gadgets' work well - doors and fan. I haven't tried moving the grille position, and from reading, I don't think I will - seems like every person who has tried the grille breaks it!! I don't want to become yet another statistic!

Al.

10203 looks really nice there - yet another 1-Co-Co-1 locomotive ...

For me, I've hit the purchase button again on a BR Schools 4-4-0.

/media/tinymce_upload/9bcdc544ce19abba995332d0002180ae.jpg

I'm going to go for the tyre-removal-conversion as well - wish me luck!!

Al.

Lovely looking loco. Should manage the Pullmans okay on the Devon belle.

My green 10203 has been dispatched,so should be here in the next 14 days ( average time by post). I was luck enough to see all three when with drawn at Derby.

Derek 19b

It is indeed an old loco, but runs on code 100 track apart from Hornby R.8000 points. The track Hornby used today is the old R.600 series from System 6 days, first introduced in 1971.  The only real changes have been the railchairs, the loosing of the interlocking sleeper ends and the change of the points from R.612-R.641 series to the R.8000 series. Older locos don't like the R.8000 series points as the flangeways are more shallow. 

10203 looks really nice there - yet another 1-Co-Co-1 locomotive ...

For me, I've hit the purchase button again on a BR Schools 4-4-0.

/media/tinymce_upload/9bcdc544ce19abba995332d0002180ae.jpg

I'm going to go for the tyre-removal-conversion as well - wish me luck!!

Al.

Does that mean new wheels?

Here's one way of doing it: 

Possibly fortunately, wife's got visitors coming all weekend, so won't have 'a quiet afternoon' to do anything - besides, there's the footy, F1 and BTCC to watch ... going to be a busy weekend.

I've received the additional drivers courtesy of Peters - many thanks - and the wheels pop off / on quite nicely.

'Quartering' will be important with the RHS one quarter in advance of the LHS.

Having seen the centres 'pop' in / out from the outside, I quite fancy trying to press out the centres without getting all brutal and ruthless with the kitchen scissors!!

Loco does seem quite weighty for a relatively small 4-4-0.

I'm certain Hornby had several discussions on this one and decided there may be too many complaints if it couldn't pull like a Schools, hence the traction tyres.

I quite like the idea of having 'all steel'-shod wheels without the rubber, nevertheless - I can always go back if 'my plan' works - far less destructive than that in the video ... I hope!

I'm going to try and rest the flange on a suitably-sized socket, then use a smaller one to push the centre out - could even use the vice (gently) - that's the plan.

Al.

Everything's perfect.

Funny, but I cannot find a Schools beyond 30939 .....  😛

Loco needs a little 'breaking in' - a little tight at the extremes of the linkages, but otherwise absolutely perfect.

I've had to find some 'Southern Region' green BR coaches to match now ... limited it to 8 'though I do have a H N15, B Lord N and a couple of Bulleid Pacifics if the Schools cannot handle them ... !!

One thing with the Schools is that some of the 'detail' parts are necessarily 'optional' - cannot be fitted for normal use, like the front steps - unless you limit curves to 6th radius equivalent.

Al.

Visitors this week so no track will be layed unfortunately.

I think it will just handle 8, but with a 'realistic' wheel slip on start-up - I understand what you're saying there - just didn't like the rubber tyres on the large drivers - good application, just 'wrong'.

Might get an opportunity next weekend, when the coaches should have arrived.

Might try the '50' with 30 coaches while I'm at it!! It's a beast!!

Schools is a lovely-looking little locomotive.

Al.