Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

For the time being I've not sought to alter the wheelsets on my China-built locomotives (although have stocked up on spare tyres). I've assumed that Hornby found their hauling capacity was restricted without these (hence their fitment) so have not been rushing into investigating this. However, certainly very interested in your findings.  😀

THE VERDICT:

Family is out all day so couldn't resist getting some track out and a load of Pullman cars - possibly some of the heavier ones out there.

11 coaches: Wheelslip all the way but can pull away and get up to a reasonably speed - with continuous wheelslip.

10 coaches: Not as bad, but virtually the same.

8 coaches:   No problem pulling away but at higher speeds there is some slight slippage.

7 coaches:   Easy and virtually no slip at all.

8 coaches on a decent-sized layout is quite reasonable without any noticeable problem.

I used 3rd radius curves on a simple near-oval perhaps 3.5 x 1.5 metres (8 coaches just fit on the main straight without being on the curves either end).

Whilst 'playing' I also added some weight to the way-too-light tender - not much room but the coal is 'running light' anyway. If full should be ~2/3 weight of the locomotive - mine is just under half

Al.

WORD OF WARNING - Schools - no tyres.

I started 'playing' with weight distribution by adjusting the front bogie placement and virtually totally lost traction!!

It needs to be as close to the locomotive as possible, just permitting the spring to lightly maintain it on the track, without any 'weight' on the front bogie - keeping nearly all on the 4 drivers.

Quite an eye opener.

Needs careful work to keep running well - safest bet is probably not to do the conversion.

Al.

I like to have some weight on all wheels - don't fancy having the front bogie too light and might bounce off on points if too light.

I've reverted to stock, and simply pushing up and down the track there's considerably more resistance, obviously, with the rubber tyres.

The other thing I noticed with all of the 'playing' / tinkering, was that the main body weight is in the front part of the body, sealed off, obviously stuffed with ZAMAK - and Hornby had obviously put the weight over the rubber-tyred wheels.

I'm back to rubber tyred now, but the track's back in boxes to avoid potential collateral damage from the visitors - no testing - didn't fancy no weight on the front bogie either.

Al.

One thing I had also noticed was that the valve gear on one side had become too 'loose' and occasionally would catch on the cylinder piston slider.

I carefully tightened by using pliers on both sides - bit of a risk, but seems to have worked - didn't want a 9-10-coach express to suddenly derail in the loft (future plan) whilst I'm downstairs getting a cuppa made!!

Al.

Bit of excitement there with the Schools - I think it's every bit another 'new favourite' of mine - I always liked the prototype simply for what it was - relatively small / compact and powerful ... 

Speaking of favourites, I've mentioned in other 'diesel sections' that my all-time favourite is the Western Hydraulic.

Having 'researched' (Googled I think we call it these days!!) as much as I can, and that most likely to satisfy my OCD nature is the Dapol Western, except none are within my self-appointed budget limit, and there's been mention of questionable build quality in some .... but I was able to get a blue Heljan - Western Druid .... for now.

I've already changed some parts, to make it all blue - the front steps were black, but I replaced these with the blue ones, which meant removing and replacing the buffer beam (and re-threading the spring wire through the buffers at one end, and fitting the blue skirting at one end.

Other detail parts will be added over the weekend once I figure out which go where ...

Courtesy of Fox, there's an etched nameplate / number plate change going to happen - already received - to D1000 Western Enterprise - prefer the name and it was that as a Trix Western I had 42 years ago when it came out - and similar to the original Tri-ang Princess Elizabeth, it was way too small - basically it was all HO I think!!

I'm going to need patience this weekend to complete this then - should get there I think.

Agreed, it is heavy and despite only being 8 wheel drive, not 12 as the Hornby Class 50, it appears to have very similar traction.

The Heljan 52 is only 10 g lighter than the 620+ g Hornby Class 50.

Should permit it to perform as indicated in the paperwork - to pull 15 bogie carriages without problem.

Al.

I remember getting a Mainline Warship all those years ago, and how much 'extra detail' they brought to the party.

Beautiful model and ran brilliantly at the time, but somehow I don't have the same 'affection' for it that I have for the Westerns.

I think they were already phased out during my occasional spotting days when a teenager on holiday in the South West.

I remember - just - the Westerns, 50's of course, and also the 'HST / IC125' coming into service.

Al.

I have just been 'running-in' my new Ashover Baldwin 10-12 D 4-6-0T on my DCC Concepts rolling road. This is a remarkable and useful bit of kit which allows me to 'run-in' and test locomotives of up to 12 axles on 9mm, 12mm, 16.5mm, 18.2mm or 18.83 mm gauges. (not all at the same time I must add!) The rollers are screwed to plastic distance pieces which space them at the correct gauge, these sit on a length of track and get the power from them. To change gauge two screws have to be undone and the distance piece for the desired gauge screwed in instead. Included in the set are some contacts for the third rail pick up skates for Hornby Dublo and similar.

Another useful device I obtained recently is a track tester from Train Tech which shows not only that the rails are live but which polarity is being applied. I have found this very useful in finding wiring faults, especially in conjunction with a multi meter.

I now keep all my train servicing kit in two aluminium flight cases which make finding the right tools etc much easier.

Another useful device I obtained recently is a track tester from Train Tech which shows not only that the rails are live but which polarity is being applied. I have found this very useful in finding wiring faults, especially in conjunction with a multi meter.

Yes, this is an incredibly useful little tool which was one of the first things I bought when I re-started on railway modelling three years ago. So useful, in fact, that I keep it in a small pillbox in my trouser pocket. I can certainly recommend it.

They'll take a few days apparently - nothing cleared over the weekend - before cleared for viewing, but a few photos of the Heljan D1000, Western Enterprise .... that's right .... OK, I've renumbered as I'd mentioned I would do.

Beautiful locomotive.

More details to add, hopefully over the weekend.

Wipers have been cut out, but I need to trim them down.

Will view photos to see if painting required - I've seen some painted silver ...

/media/tinymce_upload/8769f331030b7026abda01087d84bf84.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/522f1c48ab5599a185ca8e9aca686b51.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/72d6ac485bfcaaeddc7bba3e15238575.jpg

Al.

I have just been test running my Welsh Highland Railway Baldwin 10-12 D 4-6-0T. I had intended to convert it to the GVT version as my GEM kit has never run well but have decided not to as Bachmann have announced this version.

This is a very nice model although a little odd as it is not strictly a 4-6-0.. The chassis is built more like a 2-8-0 with six coupled driving wheels at the back, the "pony truck" axel behing the cylinders is on the rigid chassis though with a lot of side play while the front pair are on a truck. All of this is quite un-noticable unless you turn the loco upside down

Aside from having moving valvegear I think the model is a little longer over the couplings than the GEM version as I am unable to turn it on Glyn Ceiriog's turntable. However as the GVT couldn't do that in real life that is probably a good thing!

Another photo of Heljan D1000 Western Enterprise - very limited edition (to those who purchase the nameplates off Fox no less!!).

/media/tinymce_upload/ec73a06a900028f1c40943c1d60d2233.jpg

Photo of the Class 50 - still a super-detail stunner - yet to get going on the 'practically applied detail' on the 52

/media/tinymce_upload/5fc95a3ca9a88355cce2078ca94cfa69.jpg

Al.

Headcode translucent inserts came today for the 52.

Removing the covers wasn't that easy, but only after (finally) replacing the glazing I noticed Heljan glued or relied on damp / wet paint to keep the glazing in - and some 'tidying up' is really required.

Don't want to tempt fate too soon, so will leave semi-tidied-up for now.

/media/tinymce_upload/22a4d8700ee24452534018a94d7b523f.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e1432290fa3b4495c4abb5adfc5a3ad6.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/aabc1f78fced428ce64f65365d04506f.jpg

Al.

/media/tinymce_upload/c296e436b3ffc353096598a48343c656.JPG

Not quite my latest as it came a couple of weeks ago. Sadly I don't think the green cylinders and red con/coupling rods are quite right for a GWR loco, does anyone have any info or is it in a "preserved" livery? 

The number 701 was allocated to a Barclay 0-4-0ST absorbed from Swansea Harbour Trust (their No.5) it was further renumbered 1140 and survived until 1958 in BR(W) service.  It features on page 167 of J, H. Russells "A Pictorial Record of Great Western Absorbed Engines" and looks very like your model.

The number 705 was allocated to a GW Standard Goods 0-6-0 which was nothing like it.

The red rods are probably meant to be  associated with dock work for which these locos were suited. .Why it hasn't been numbered 701 is hard to guess.