Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

As a follow up, here are a few photos from the seller I purchased the AmRo Flying Scotsman set from.  I'll get better photos when it arrives, but it also looks like all track is there, as well as the station and the original catalogue!  Here is the box lid, print that came with the set and loco with cars in the box!

/media/tinymce_upload/232b0a4b211d6fa121101f172e8b3561.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/fbee5df38fa6961f2412f2d3555df257.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/4b57f051c8b7bbf7955a6af4b561c257.jpg

DP2 arrived safely, and met it's offspring and clan!!

/media/tinymce_upload/1f2553b5989a3f8650241a5e0d71d442.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/a092e03bec18cc50ab17af377522f843.jpg

I was suprised how 'basic' the Bachmann Deltic appeared next to the Heljan and Hornby products!!

(Runs fantastically of course!!)

Al.

Nice.

Can't explain but not a fan of ringfield motor powered locos - I think it's just the noisy gears, but I remember also that the original Hornby ones forever needing attention to the brushes - I think it's possibly the fit was a little slack in the guide.

I had a very early Class 47 which took about 10-20 circuits / loops of an 8x4 track before it got up to speed - seemed like the brushes re-aligned themselves each time - it was great after that and I would leave it at moderate speed for up to an hour !!

If I rotated the loco, it would take an age for it to get up to speed, which it would.

Easy to speculate now, but could have been slack guides, carbon off the brushes not permitting the spring to adjust them onto the commutator, weak springs ... etc!!

I remember removing the brushes, cleaning the guides, commutator, slots between poles, ensuring free movement of brushes, that the brush contact points were smooth and clean ... nearly always the same story, but great when running well.

Back to yours, looks great - nice find.

Al.

I seem to have acquired four black cats as temporary guests, this morning, one has a singe-mark on it's back, possibly from a hot car exhaust, one has a white ear, possibly battle damage, one has four white feet, like it had been paddling in a tray of paint, and one had a sparkly red collar on.

All in my porch, looking for a warm dry spot out of the rain, and hoping for a feed.

-

But that wasn't what was meant by the question!  😛

@ M.R.

That photo of your Airfix Pendennis Castle look very simular to my recent purchase of my...

/media/tinymce_upload/bf94eded05ae276158a2083ca31d4fb9.JPG

BR Class B17 'West Ham United' 

This came from the Hornby "East Coast Express Train Set"

B. t w. I don't follow West Ham United F.C. be for any one ask - I don't even like football - I just get the set b/c I like the Loco as a whole!!!  😀

My latest acquisition isn't a loco, carriage, trucks, houses, cars etc. but is a Ultra Sonic cleaner. I recently was asked to strip down and clean up a Flying Scotsman. Main problem broken wires but also over lubed. I coulod have salvaged the oil and lubed all my locos and rolling stock with plus had enough left to do an oil change on my car.

This is sold as a jewelry cleaning machine and uses warm water and detergent in its bath. However it's easy to insert another small container to put solvents in if required if worried about solvents damaging the original bath. It's battery driven. certainly cleaned the oil and muck off.

The cost £7.36 on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrasonic-Mini-Cleaner-For-Gold-Silver-Jewelry-Necklace-Rings-Watches-Coins-UK/323410326228?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I bought a Hornby B1 (early British Railways livery - still in LNER apple green) from Hattons a few weeks back that didn't run properly, so returned to them, and a few days later received a replacement which runs perfectly, and looks beautiful too.  Thank you to Hornby for possibly the most handsome model I own.  I'll try posting some photos soon.

They look in fantastic condition!!

I was barely into 'double digits' when I fell for the LMS Lizzie many years ago, then became SO annoyed to find out just how far out the scale was - close enough to 3.5mm:ft HO instead of 4mm:ft OO and just hoped Hornby would bring out a correct-scale Lizzie ....

Nearly 50 years later I have a couple of the more-current ones.

This isn't the reason for your purchase I know, and my apologies if I'm over-critical.

The condition of your items looks superb. Are they all fully-functional?

Does the synchrosmoke still work - it's been mentioned the burnt oil made the bodies a little fragile, but I remember the pistons being fragile after time as well?

One thought: It's almost a given that an electric motor loses some power over time, hence why many are remagnetising, but does the same apply to the magnets used for the magnadhesion?

Al.

Glad you like them, three are in full working order including exhaust steam sound and smoke units, the fourth one needs a spell in the works and is booked in for September next year for an VHGOR ( Very Heavy General Overhaul and Restoration).  Any magnets on old locos loose their magnetism, traction magnets as well. Thankfully these all have good strong magnets and will be remagnetised upon overhaul.

Glad you like them, three are in full working order including exhaust steam sound and smoke units, the fourth one needs a spell in the works and is booked in for September next year for an VHGOR ( Very Heavy General Overhaul and Restoration).  Any magnets on old locos loose their magnetism, traction magnets as well. Thankfully these all have good strong magnets and will be remagnetised upon overhaul, as belt and braces.

This is the one that has had a hard life but is fully restorable. The tender top is scratched but it can have the scratches removed.   I have the parts for the repairs and will strip it down in September for a full rebuild.

/media/tinymce_upload/39b2d5a709c7cd367ab2ee6fe213dc56.jpg