Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Hi, I've just purchased second hand R2904 Black 5 "45190" from the Pete Waterman Collection that is now running well. However, there are a couple of small parts missing - the front vacuum brake pipe and the rear coupling eye from the tender buffer beam. Can I still buy those parts? The detailing kit was open but there are brake rods, steps, and sanders but nothing else. Should there be a crew? In addition, there weren't any cylinder drain cocks can anyone recommend some that I could add to this model? I'm a newbie here really so if I should post somewhere else please shout. Many thanks, Andy

Hi Andy,

I think I used Patriot / Royal Scot draincocks - some Dremel micro holes carefully drilled, trial a few times, then glue into place.

Crew - I think that applied to UK built locos - I've not had any in the accessory packs of 'newer' Chinese-built locos.

Vacuum pipes are in most accessory packs - check which design is most appropriate. Aftermarket brass ones are available as well.

The socket - again, should find suitable examples on a certain auction site.

Hope this helps.

Al.

J83 from, (I think), around 1980. Body in vgc. Chassis awash with oil as per a lot of ebay purchases indicated a possible problem which turned out to be a slight squeal at half wave running. Remedied by lubing the motor shaft. No mean feat as this was a type 7 motor. Thankfully my syringe oiler could reach the inside bearing. Mopped up the excessive oil and cleaned everything in sight including the axel that rests upon the two tiny suspension springs. After that it ran smoothly at all speeds very quietly.

/media/tinymce_upload/22445cf82c4360ecf056dafa1000af38.JPG

Left to right: New purchases from the past weekend. All are Bachmann Thomas & Friends models and are very rare. Found myself another Salt Wagon and 6 Ton Wagon. Also by the 6 Ton Wagon, you can see a figure. That is the Custom Conductor figure.

Other models seen in the baclground that are not mentioned, are not new purchases.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I have since November last year (2018) acquired quite a lot and I still don't have a proper track set up. 

First it was a run once Mallard live steam set, followed shortly after by a Golden Fleece, and Silver arrow live steam loco's. once agin followed by another new Mallard set. I have been running the run once Mallard on a home made rolling road to get used to the controls and run the engine in. I intend to use the Mallard on a shortly to be constructed layout.

I also decided that I would like some DCC stuff on the same layout (not at the same time or possibly on a smaller seperate track incorperated into the Live steam track) and when looking at some You Tube videos there was an introduction to DCC which caught my attention as the guy had bought a set with an E Link as there was not much difference in cost between the controller and software and the full set, I figured that would be a good way to start. so on an auction site I found the Mixed good set and a western something or other which gave me some track two different types of DCC controllers (Select & E Link) 3 DCC locos and some rolling stock, both were in original packing and never used. Cost about 55% of new.

I then recovered from my old hose loft a box of 70's early 80's Hornby stuff.locos rolling stock and track.

now I have just bought a Western express set from Hattons at under £200 with sound and which has another e link and software, which I need so I can run it on two computers. I also bought a 4-6-0 adderly hall loco at half price and a sound module and a Proper hornby rolling road. 

Also recently found an origional Boxed set of A4 loc's with certificates all in the origional presentation pack which I bought as a spur of the moment thing. but id does look nice.

I've spent a fair bit but as  had nothing really to start with I figured I could buy much m ore to get started by buying some older stock. 

I also had a bit of god fortune the other week as a friend of mine is clearing her parents house after her mother died a few months ago, she came across a large cardboard box full of boxed loco's and rolling stock which she has told me I am welcome to take away. 

Still no Layout yet, plans are under way for that, my house is too small but I have a 10 metre square workshop at the bottom my garden which is full but this week have managed to sell one of my cars which will free up loads of space in a couple of weeks time. I'm thinking maybe 16 by 12 feet although that may change to an L shaped layout with large ends  and narrowing down between. 

Spent too much? probably but as with the live steam stuff etc I intend to keep the new unboxed stuff for a while as cash in the bank is not making anything.

I may do an ongoing post to progress my start from nothing and where it goes from there to see how I fare..

Sam

@SAM

Just to offer you a TIP. I can see when you you were writing your post above (previous page) in the 'posting text box' you split the text into separate gapped paragraphs. As you can see, that formatting you carefully tried to put in the post was lost. This is something the forum software does. It strips out 'carriage returns' before publishing the post.

As you can see in this reply of mine. I have managed to insert a paragraph break. The secret (TIP) is to type two consecutive 'carriage returns' when you are initially writing your text. The forum software strips out the first 'carriage return' but leaves the second one behind to create the paragraph gap.

Hope this helps....

Two extremes of "Value-for-Money" at a railway show today. 1. the 15th edition (1969) of the Triang/Hornby catalogue in good condition for only 4 shillings (orig. price 1/6)  Good reading and reference at a bargain price.                                   2. an indifferent cup of tea at £2. Ridiculous but necessary as I was very thirsty.