Programming with a Select.

dude2112

I did tag this onto my points overload thread but the forum kept taking me back too login page... Anyway I have begun programming my locos decoders with numbers I can hopefully remember until I can name them on my Elite. I have managed to sort out my class

25 and Princess class loco but my class 50 gave me grief trying too shoot off the programming track. I think I have sorted it now but I am trying to program a never before used new arrival and it does not like it....

Do you guys run new locos in DC first

before fitting decoders ?

The conventional wisdom is that locos should run well on DC before converting to DCC by fitting a decoder. If they don't run well on DC, they won't run well on DCC either. This is about doing your routine maintenance to keep your locos running well.

I

think what you are describing is different though. If your connections aren't perfect, it is sometimes possible for your decoder to interpret the signal it is getting as DC because it doesn't conform to the correct DCC format. As the full DCC volts is present

on the track all the time, the loco will take off at full speed if it thinks it is a DC signal.

With the Elite, you solve this problem by turning off DC running so it can't happen - see Elite manual as to which CV does this. In the meantime, you can

minimise the likelihood by ensuring your connections to track are good, the track is clean, the loco wheels are clean and the pickups clean and in contact with the wheels all the time (which is what you do first in DC to make sure it is running OK).

And

remember that your Elite can program 4 digit running numbers. Again the conventional wisdom is you give each loco the number of the last 4 digits in its running number. Also, the Elite can read back its decoder number if you forget - another advantage of the

Elite over the Select.

Archived