Converting older locos to DCC

Barry1946

Lots of older model (Triang/Hornby etc) locos on internet auction sites at good prices. BUT - can they be easily chipped or should I go for later (4 number R code) models? OR do some of these present problems?

I'm very impessed with my new "Flying

Scotsman" DCC ready and now chipped, will creep very smoothly. Will I get similar performance from non DCC ready locos or should I go for DCC ready?

Hi Barry, in general all older models can be converted, many very easily. The ease depends on motor type. There are some Ringfield motors where the left hand connection, being the LH motor brush holder, is connected to chassis and these have to be insulated

making it a little more difficult.

If you do a search in this forum, you will find heaps on how to do it. A good site to start with is Bromsgrove Models who have specific instructions for many.

The simple thing to remember is that decoder red

and black wires go to the pickups and decoder orange and grey to the motor connections. Follow that and you can't go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the older (ex Dapol) castles and counties are very easy to convert to DCC as the motor has wires going from the pickup to the motor - just unsolder thethe wires from the motor and solder the chip in between the motor and pickups.

The hardest

problem I have found with these (and some other older models) is where to put the chip. In the case of the Castles and Counties you will need to chop a lump off the weight in the boiler.

Another option is to get a non runner or body from an old Hornby

model which is now in the Railroad range. I did this with the midland compound (in MR livery), LMS black 5 and the 4-4-0 County. The result is a more detailed paint finish but with the blackened wheels and smoother running of the railroad model which is DCC

ready. The only thing to watch is that the body colours will differ so you will need a tender body as well and in the case of the Compound you will have to either change the metal tender chassis frames over or repaint the railroad ones.

Archived