RailMaster for iPad / iPhone ?

Hopefully people from Hornby read these forums, how about an iPad app for RailMaster that connects wirelessly to the PC? I've heard multiple computer access is in the works but an iPad would make a fantastic walkabout control unit.

Currently I use

a remote desktop App so I can control RailMaster from the iPad but the interface is a bit fiddly for the small screen.

• 8 months later...

Yes I agree it would be useful to have some further feedback If Hornby have been working on software for apple devices one would have expected some sort of progress in the last year, in fact it should have come to fruition by now, posting a 9 month old

reply is hardly conducive to good customer relations.

• 4 months later...

Any Update yet.. is progress being made?

• 6 months later...

You

can't get RailMaster as such you still need that to be up and running on a PC/Laptop but you can get the RailMaster App which runs on the iPad/iPhone (you need a separate registration for each) this app allows you to control trains and layout. It's not an

iTunes app you have to download it from within the RailMaster program.

Dave

To expand on what Dave says, if you already own Railmaster on your PC, you can get the app for your iPad by going to Help in it, then Selecting latest news. There it will tell you all about the app, starting with downloading the installation manual, and

the website from which to get it for iPad and lots of other handhelds. It comes first as an evaluation version which you can upgrade to a full licence for 9.99 pounds.

If you don't yet have Railmaster, you can download an evaluation version on this

site at https://www.hornby.com/downloads/hornby-railmaster-downloads/ then you can install the app on this version of RM. however, you should note, and there are warnings in the program, that the eval version expires after 90 days and has only limited capability

and, if you have licenced the app, it too will expire with the expiry of the eval version unless you first de-activate it and move it to another copy of RM.

This is not your normal iDevice app. You don't buy it at the iTunes Store and you can't use

it across all your iDevices. In fact, without going through the de-activation/re-activation process I mentioned above, your app is limited to only being used on a particular copy of RM. if your RM itself is licenced, you can move it around too by the de-activation/re-activation

process. This is Hornby's way of ensuring that you don't abuse their licence conditions and can only use RM and the app in one place at one time. Also note that while you can buy the app online and receive your activation code by email, currently you can only

buy RM itself via taking delivery of a physical DVD containing the activation code on a real piece of paper, despite the facility being already built into the program for full online purchase like the app, but yet to be implemented.

And I forgot to mention, there are a number of threads with handheld, iPad etc in the title on this forum to tell you more. And don't just read the start of them as the app only came into existence recently, with beta versions released late last year and

the real one only available this month. There is lots on here as beta users found bugs which were subsequently fixed by the RM team such that the app now seems to do exactly what it is supposed to do.

And you might note that one slightly difficult

thing you have to do is set up the networking correctly with static IP addresses or it doesn't work. Instructions for this are in the manual and there is also a lot about this in the threads.

Archived