Network Connection

Hi all help needed Have downloaded the app and after a lot of changing settings have made the connection between my laptop & my Galaxy S4. However every time I connect the S4 I get a warning message saying network connection to the remote device is not

reliable please check. 1Router, 2your Railmaster PC, 3 your remote device & read the PDF guides.

have changed the channel on router 3 times, pinged the router & devi8ce both are 1ms so ok there also plugged laptop into router. have sent RM emails they say

problem with my settings but fail to say what settings. HELP please.

There are many reasons why you might have an unreliable WiFi connection. The manual contains a good guide for setting up a network but it can't possible cover everything that can go wrong with a network, like interference or faulty hardware.

Networking

is one of those things that either goes nice and smoothly or a tiny problem somewhere on the network messes things up.

Now, you mention that you have done PINGs from your PC to both your router and your device and they are responding with good times.

That is really odd because that would indicate a good connection between devices. Did you only do one PING or many. Try doing ten in a row to each device and see if at any time you get a really long response time to a test packet.

RailMaster must be

doing a similar thing to test the integrity of the network connection.

If you still can't get to the bottom of it perhaps you should send a Help Request to Hornby from within the program then they can look at your PC's settings for clues. Networking

is a minefield and when you take all of the permutations and combinations of things that can go wrong it certainly goes into the hundreds.

Johnboy, you don't mention if you have set up a static IP address or not? If not, that will be the reason. Look at the PDF Guide for details and you could also have a look at this thread from early in the year https://www.hornby.com/forums/hornby-forums/hornby-railmaster/4336/?page=5&added=false

I know this one relates to an iPad but the same principles apply.

Good luck.

Fishmanoz said:

Johnboy, you don't mention if you have set up a static IP address or not? If not, that will be the reason. Look at the PDF Guide for details and you could also have a look at this thread from early in the year https://www.hornby.com/forums/hornby-forums/hornby-railmaster/4336/?page=5&added=false

I know this one relates to an iPad but the same principles apply.

Good luck.

Your router is normally defaulted to send out IP addresses to each PC, laptop or other gadgets on your network and therefore automatically assigns these each time the PC etc is switched on. Say your PC is 192.168.1.2 and switched on first and your laptop

is then turned on afterward then the laptop will be assigned the next available address which is 192.168.1.3. Your router is then, and should always, be 192.168.1.1 and this is the gateway address so need to worry too much about that once set.

When

both math machines are turned off and you switch on the laptop first your address to that changes to 192.168.1.2. The first address is always assigned to the machine switched on first in the network.

OK... inside your router you need to tell it to assign

these addresses to each machine individually. Each component on your network will have a network card which caqn be cabled or wireless. Find the MAC address for each and assign an IP address to each within the router. You rrouter instructions will tell you

how to do it.

Then in the Control Panel find Network Connections (different OS may word this slightly differently) and then for eqach network card (i.e. Local Area Network) right click and go to Properties and assign that same IP address as you did

before. There are loads of instructions around on how to do this for your OS and router model.

The idea of this short tutorial thingy is just to let you see that assigning these IP addresses manually and 'fixing' them to the individual PC or laptop

etc will keep them all the same regardless of what is on the network, added to it or whatever is turned on first or last etc.

Also you must remember that for wireless you should allocate the smae WPA/2 key to each PC or laptop etc. Also make sure they

are ALL connected to the same network with the same SSID for wireless.

Hope this helps...

Just noted your last post Johnboy and the S4, like my wife's Tab 2 is Samsung. Some wireless dropouts are noted on these and resetting the connection can help but is a pain.

As an aside... Once you get a decent ping with a single attempt there's

no real need to try ten or so times. I can see the argument as to why you may but it isn't necessary. Once pinged the route to the target is open when the response is made and is unlikely to shut down unless there is another problem elsewhere on the network.

Archived