Setting Up Locos on Railmaster

Hi All,

I am trying to set up my 1st loco on Railmaster - it's a Hall Class - St.Pauls.

I did not change the address for the loco previously when I only had the Elite, so I suppose it's address is still 0003 - same as all my locos.

I used the

Loco icon on Railmaster, searched for and selected the data for St.Pauls, but it is asking for the DCC-ID number (is this the same as it's address ie 0003 ?).

Wanting to make this loco my number 1, I gave it a number of 0001.

Question, presumably now

I need to change the number in the loco chip to be 0001 - should I try to do this in Railmaster, if so how, or should I just try to do it using my Elite ?

Many thanks.

P.

Hi Pete, can I suggest that you start by reading at least the basics in the Railmaster manual which should have been downloaded to your desktop when the v1.51 RM update was downloaded and installed. It really is a simple matter of putting your loco on

a track connected to the programming output and setting the loco type to your St Paul's Schools Class and setting the running number you want.

By the way, you should change all of your locos from 0003 at the earliest so you don't get confusion on your

layout and 0003 is available from the next DCC fitted loco you get. Many people suggest using the loco running number as its address as that should be unique and you won't forget it. And remember that only one loco or accessory decoder should be connected

to the programming track at a time.

Looking at the Manual, it may seem complicated. So what you can do is put your loco with address 0003 on the programming track, select the loco button as you said, and yes decoder address and loco ID are the same. Now go to page 25 of the manual and see

that you select the 00003 address and define your loco from the pull down list. You can now change that ID by clicking on the middle button at the bottom left of the loco screen and type in the number that you want.

You can read and change all the

loco CVs including address by clicking on the I button next to the address button and go to page 39 in the manual to see what all of that means.

Hope that makes it simple for you.

To do your next loco, just move the last one off the programming track and put the next one on, then start again with address 0003 and select the loco type and adjust as required. Remember only one loco on the programming track at a time, just like with

the Elite.

What about something with drive units at each end, such as my Midland Pullman? I programmed them both at the same time on my programming track, thinking that would ensure they both run in the opposite direction to the other (which they need to do and in

fact do do), that is, or else there would be a tug of war or mutual compression attempt.

Knowing the run as a pair, maybe they've been manufactured with the orange and grey wires swapped in the trailing unit? That way you could program them together and they would run correctly.

Do they have directional lighting? That would have to

be wired with white and yellow swapped at the trailing end too.

Fishmanoz said:

Looking at the Manual, it may seem complicated. So what you can do is put your loco with address 0003 on the programming track, select the loco button as you said, and yes decoder address and loco ID are the same. Now go to

page 25 of the manual and see that you select the 00003 address and define your loco from the pull down list. You can now change that ID by clicking on the middle button at the bottom left of the loco screen and type in the number that you want.

You

can read and change all the loco CVs including address by clicking on the I button next to the address button and go to page 39 in the manual to see what all of that means.

Hope that makes it simple for you.

Hi, Many thanks for your

assistance - again !
For some reason I find the Railmaster instructions difficult to follow, compared to the Elite instructions, but maybe it's just me ..
I used my Elite today to change the address on my St Pauls loco from 0003 to 0001 (pleased with

myself !) so I hope it will now work with the Railmaster settings that I set up for that loco. I gather from what you said, that if I place the loco on a programming track and press the Loco button, then the loco address that I enter would change the address

in the loco chip at the same time ? - brilliant!
I now need to create a programming track/siding, install my touch screen, wire up my point motors to the decoders - then I can really have a play with Railmaster.
I am very impressed with the vast range

of possibilities that Railmaster offers - still lots to learn though.
Thanks again...

Pete, if you put a loco on the programming track, open loco setup and enter the loco's current ID into setup, now RM can set loco features for you. If you select the loco type, it will be ready to set all of the standard features for that type, and will

do so when you conform by pressing the tick. If you now want to change the ID, you must press the icon for that and enter the new ID you want, and again press the tick.

For your Schools class, you have already changed it to 0001 with your Elite, so

now you put it on the programming track with RM, open the loco screen,make sure you have 00001 selected and then select St Paul's from the drop down list and press tick. Now all the other St Paul's standard CVs will be set too and Rm will know that the 0001

loco is your St Paul's.

When you start with another loco which is still at the default 0003, you will select that ID first up, select the loco type, then you can change the ID to what you want with the change ID button.

Fishmanoz said:

Pete, if you put a loco on the programming track, open loco setup and enter the loco's current ID into setup, now RM can set loco features for you. If you select the loco type, it will be ready to set all of the standard features

for that type, and will do so when you conform by pressing the tick. If you now want to change the ID, you must press the icon for that and enter the new ID you want, and again press the tick.

For your Schools class, you have already changed it to

0001 with your Elite, so now you put it on the programming track with RM, open the loco screen,make sure you have 00001 selected and then select St Paul's from the drop down list and press tick. Now all the other St Paul's standard CVs will be set too and

Rm will know that the 0001 loco is your St Paul's.

When you start with another loco which is still at the default 0003, you will select that ID first up, select the loco type, then you can change the ID to what you want with the change ID button.

Hi,

Fishmanoz.
Thanks for the info, it sounds logical.
Can't wait to really get started with Railmaster, as one of the reasons that I bought it was to make programming locos easier. So far I am very impressed.

P.

Fishmanoz said:

Knowing the run as a pair, maybe they've been manufactured with the orange and grey wires swapped in the trailing unit? That way you could program them together and they would run correctly.

Do they have directional

lighting? That would have to be wired with white and yellow swapped at the trailing end too.
Sorry, Fishy, I should have answered this before now. I've only just picked up on it again. Thanks for the info which must be correct for, not only, direction,

but, yes, for the directional lighting.

Archived