DCC Decoders

chrisL31

I just bought an R8216 decoder and R8243 point motors, i am using the Select control unit.

No matter how many times i have tried to program the decoder it is still flashing 8 times, and thence not operating the point motors

I have tried to

connect directly to the select, and without point motors connected but still cannot get the decoder to be programmed

Please connect the point motor to the first channel output of the Point Decoder. Please Note: when the Point Decoder starts the programme cycle it activates channel 1. This behaviour can be used as an indicator that programming has commenced.

Ensure

that you have the point motor correctly connected.
Red = +
Black = C
Green = - ***
*** It is possible that this wire may be Brown or White depending on when your point motor was manufactured.

Set the point motor armature so that it is

set centrally between the two coils. When the point motor activates it will throw the armature towards one of the coils, there will be an audible click from the solenoid as this happens. This procedure is advised; as it will make it easier to tell when the

point motor armature has been thrown indicating successful programming.

You may use the surface mount low profile point decoder, but indication as described above is more difficult to see. E.g. there will be a faint click or, the bell crank will move;

depending on the direction the point motor is thrown.

Then connect the Point Decoder to the programming output of the Select. For programming purposes it is recommended that the Point Decoder is connected directly to the programme output. Carry out

the programming procedure as directed in the Select manual page 39.

Address Ranges
The Point Decoder has four output ports that are set in a group of four consecutive addresses. When programming Point Decoders with a Select you must start

the address numbering sequence with either 60 or 61. The start number is dependent on the firmware version of the Select.

The early version 1.0 Select uses the address range 60-99, which is not compliant with the NMRA standard numbering scheme. Later

version 1.1/1.2 Selects use an address range of 61-99, which is compliant with the NMRA numbering plan.

SELECT 1.0 Programming R8216 Point Decoder

If you programme the Point Decoder as any number in the range 60-63, e.g. 62, the 4

output ports of the Point Decoder will be allocated as addresses 60, 61, 62, and 63.

If you programme the Point Decoder as any number in the range 64-67 e.g. 66, the 4 output ports of the Point Decoder will be allocated to addresses 64, 65, 66, and

Select 1.1/1.2 Programming R8216 Point Decoder

If you programme the Point Decoder as any number in the range 61-64, e.g. 63, the 4 output ports of the Point Decoder will be allocated as addresses 61, 62, 63, and 64.

If you

programme the Point Decoder as any number in the range 65-68 e.g. 67, the 4 output ports of the Point Decoder will be allocated to addresses 65, 66, 67, and 68

What version SELECT have I got?

You can identify the version of the Select

by the numbers displayed on power up. The number sequence “10-30-03” indicates Firmware Version 1.0, Hardware Version 3, Default loco 03.

- A start sequence displaying “11-30-03” would indicate the Selct has Firmware Version 1.1
- A start sequence

displaying “12-30-03” would indicate the Selct has Firmware Version 1.2

Archived