CLUN CASTLE - DECODER SOUNDTRACK

Compbck

Following the purchase of Hornby's Clun Castle complete with sound, I would like to start installing sound on my other loco stock.

I have three other Hornby Castle Class 4-6-0 locos and a Hornby Grange 4-6-0 loco, which would probably benefit from

having the same sound decoder as Clun Castle installed.

There are a number of pre-programmed LocSound V4 decoders available, which have sound tracks for generic 4-6-0 & Manor Class 78XX locos.

Does anyone have any idea which sound track is included

on the Clun Castle LocSound decoder which would certainly be a good place to start experimenting.

Further to the above - today I took delivery of an ESU LokSound decoder from Howes Models Ltd in OXON, that is pre-programmed with a BR/GWR Castle Class 4-6-0 soundtrack.

Managed to get it installed in the tender of a Hornby "Windsor Castle" locomotive,

and initial test runs tend to indicate that the Howes decoder has very realistic sounds, and I do believe it has the edge on the Hornby Clun Castle version.

Although the cost of each sound decoder is £123 it is certainly worth the money in order to

bring an ordinary DCC loco to life.

Compbck said:

Further to the above - today I took delivery of an ESU LokSound decoder from Howes Models Ltd in OXON, that is pre-programmed with a BR/GWR Castle Class 4-6-0 soundtrack.

Managed to get it installed in the tender of a

Hornby "Windsor Castle" locomotive, and initial test runs tend to indicate that the Howes decoder has very realistic sounds, and I do believe it has the edge on the Hornby Clun Castle version.

Although the cost of each sound decoder is £123 it is certainly

worth the money in order to bring an ordinary DCC loco to life.

The Hornby Castle locomotive should read "Taunton Castle" not "Windsor Castle".

The Taunton Castle version actually has factory installed connections from the main body of the locomotive to the tender, which provides the necessary electrical pick-up

to drive the decoder located in the tender.

Archived