Maunsell U / U1

LCDR

Having been told off by Graskie for hijacking a thread in the General Forum, I am repeating this here.

Despite there being a model of the Maunsell 'N' available elsewhere the Maunsell 'U' really ought to be considered for a Hornby model. In many

ways this is as justifiable as a Grange or Modified Hall up against a Hall by the other lot, or a Royal Scot or Patriot, or a BR 4MT, or a B1, all of which have been duplicated by both main manufacturers at some time or another.

The Maunsell moguls

fulfilled for the Southern what the Black 5, B1 and Hall did for the other groups. They were 'Maids of All Work' and used widely throughout the region.

The three cylinder version the U1 were significantly distinct and I would suggest that there ought

to be a RTR model of this type.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I suspect a U would be regarded as an upgraded N and might not attract much attention, but by going straight through to the U1 you would get an unusual and interesting loco very different to the N. It would be very useful to Southern modellers and interesting

to the broad range of modellers. I think it would be quite commercially successful.

Certainly the U1 being a three cylinder machine with the 'piano front' bufferbeam was distinctive. The 'N1', 'W' and 'Z' also shared this feature.

Somehow I doubt that Hornby will consider this type, as it does not have the public following nor

is it represented by a preserved example. However who would have predicted a 'Concrete Mixer L1' a few years ago.

forester said:

I suspect a U would be regarded as an upgraded N and might not attract much attention, but by going straight

through to the U1 you would get an unusual and interesting loco very different to the N. It would be very useful to Southern modellers and interesting to the broad range of modellers. I think it would be quite commercially successful.

Archived