One point motor on two Accessory ports

mbidgo

Can you wire one point motor to two ACC ports on the same points decoder. Will the power burst sent from one decoder port damage the other port. Can I use diodes to protect the output on one port from receiving this power surge from the other port.

I

have a triple point so I need to set up combinations of two ACC ports to select each of the three roads.

You have me confused as to why you believe you need to do that to throw a triple point. Can you explain?

It seems to me that if you try to connect them with the same polarity, it will effectively be the same as one firing but with a higher current

capability. Can't imagine why you need to do that given there is sufficient current from one port to fire two solenoids. And if you connect them with opposite polarity, the result will be effectively a short circuit with zero volts so will throw nothing but

may damage the circuits. Then maybe I'm not thinking about this correctly, so tell me if I'm wrong?

I'd just connect each point motor to different ports. For some routes you would need to fire one point with one address and for some routes you'd need to fire two points. In this case you'd fire the first point motor on it's address and then fire the second

point motor using it's address. Hope that makes sense.

Just think of the three way point as two points overlapping and each point is controlled individually.

You have it exactly Rog. I have them programmed with two addresses but was hoping to be able to setup the first point to always be set normal if I transferred the second point. A bit like route setting using a single command.

Are the four common

terminals truly common (perhaps 0v)for all the ports? I have a wiring combination where I should like to drive normal on one address and reverse the same point from another address.

Or maybe I should just try and remember the combinations !

Thanks

The chances are common really is common within one decoder. Easy to check - with the decoder unpowered, do a continuity check between commons with a meter.

But given it is like single command route setting, and assuming you are using RM to do it,

why not write a simple program to do these 2 things for you, then run the program to do the firing sequence you want.

Archived