Hornby E-Link - Failed Hand Shake - Windows 7

dugdug03

I have recently brought the E-link and rail master

However i am having issues with the computer picking up the e-link

The ports are the same (com3) and set the correct drivers as per hornby helpline advice and i have right clicked on desk

top icon and gone to properties and set it with a tick next to run as administrator.

Has anyone else had this problem and know a fix?

Running Window 7

Thank you for your time

I had the same problem.

The green light on my eLink unit was flashing rather than being a continuous light.

I contacted Hornby customer service about this and was told to send the eLink unit to them

as the flashing light meant it was faulty.

They

sent me a new unit by return of post.

Other than that I cannot help but my new unit is fine.

Hope this helps.

nailsatlarge said:

I had the same problem.
The green light on my eLink unit was flashing rather than being a continuous light.
I contacted Hornby customer service about this and was told to send the eLink unit to them
as the flashing

light meant it was faulty.
They sent me a new unit by return of post.
Other than that I cannot help but my new unit is fine.
Hope this helps.

Yeah, my 1st unit done that, i now have the replacement, the light is sold green but i cant

seem to get it to pass the hand shake test :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , don't know if this will be of any help to anyone but I have a fully operation elink and railmaster running on Windows 7.

If you are impressed then I must say I am too for I have spent many evenings lasting until well into the early hours patiently

trying endless combinations until I was ready to bin the whole thing and go back to analogue.

I have found that if you right click on the railmaster icon and select troubleshoot compatability and then select 'run under windows XP service pack 2' it

works - every time - loads every time - reads and writes CV's. That coupled with the latest update (version 1.53) seems to have cured it - for me anyway.

I have also readdressed the USB port to Comm port 1.

Hope this helps

dugdug03

said:

I have recently brought the E-link and rail master

However i am having issues with the computer picking up the e-link

The ports are the same (com3) and set the correct drivers as per hornby helpline advice and i have right clicked

on desk top icon and gone to properties and set it with a tick next to run as administrator.

Has anyone else had this problem and know a fix?

Running Window 7

Thank you for your time

A couple of interesting points here. First is that some report problems when running under W 7 and 8, others don't. I'm one of the don'ts. One thing that XP simplifies is the issue of having to run as administrator. But one thing some might note is that

same compatibility tab after right clicking on the item, and going to Properties, allows you to check to run as administrator.

The other point is the com port number. RM recommends you use a com port number of 5 or below, although the initial driver

installation may select a higher number, sometimes much higher. To get to a low number, you must go to Device Manager and change it to a low number, making sure there is no conflict when you do. Then you can change the controller in RM to the number you have

selected.

• 2 months later...

hi guys this is my first post but I bought the western master dcc e-link set last week all working fine then took it to my nans and didn't use it for a week until today and when I weird the e-link un to my layout through the bus wire which I weird my layout

with and plugged it in to my pc and turned that on it wouldn't connect to my pc I'm running of XP which is the best source for Hornby no problems but it wouldn't connect and green light kept flashing so phoned Hornby help desk they said its a common problem

and asked me to drop it in to them luckily I live up the road I hope they can sort it I understand where you guys are coming from all I wont is to have a working lay out.

Hi Bouncer, welcome to the forums.

Before tasking it anywhere, suggest you do a simple check first. Open Device Manager and check that Windows hasn't decided to allocate a different com port number to the one you first set it up on. This is a common

Windows problem. If it has changed, just change it to match in the RM setup.

Also note the Hornby Customer Support is only a first line resource for simple problems as they don't have detailed knowledge of RM/eLink. A better option is to email RM Support

from the button in the Help window of RM.

Archived