Few questions from new user

AlfK

Hi everyone,

As a newcommer to Railmaster v1.52 with a new elink DCC box I have a couple of questions for the more seasoned users, viz.

1. My elink is making a high pitched whining noise the whole time it is powered on, is this normal?

I am experiencing periodic, and random non-application of events programmed in via the Stop watch icon e.g. non sounding of loco sound functions such as a whistle before starting off, or a loco not slowing to a lower speed setting.

I have noticed the

little black square next to the event text bar at the top of the plan goes yellow when this happens. Normally, when an event is correctly applied, it flashes green momentarily alongside the text event as it is reached on the clock. I have submitted an in-programme

help support submission and am awaiting a reply back. But was wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar 'issues'? Obviously this dropping of events makes real problems as locos do not sometimes slow down, or do other recorded things and short-circuits

occur due to overruns into points set against loco etc.

Had to contact RM support via an email after not receiving any response from them after using the in app help - they said they had not received it despite the program saying sucessfull submission?

Their answers to my Qs;

1.Whining noise was

normal.

2.Missed events (yellow flash in black square) meant RM had lost comms with elink.

So to rule out my ageing W7 laptop I installed RM onto my new W8 ultrabook, and so far no yellow squares and no missed events. Seems like was my USB port on first

laptop tr5ed.

Is the whining sound still there AlfK? You don't say. I'm yet to set my own up yet and the only whining I get at present is from Grumpy Granny if I disappear up to the loft to "play" with my layout or my Tinnitus playing up but seriously it surely isn't

acceptable these days to have to suffer a brand new device and whining to go with it. Did they explain the reason for the whine? Is there any likelihood the device will be adapted to stop the whine?

My elink makes the whining sound + I have another manufactures controller & that does the same thing.... I assumed because the DCC signal is at 8KHz its in our hearing range! If you get really old your hearing loss will mean you wont be able to hear it!

I have a radio playing in the background so don't notice it as much. The other thing is where the elink is located as the sound seems very directional...perhaps a bit of sound deading under/around (allow air flow) would help.

Whistling sound always present (that is why I asked RM support if was normal), I drew from their reply to me which was:

"With regard to the whistling noise, a high-pitched noise is normal although it should not be loud or annoying. If it is, then the

eLink unit you have may be at fault.",

that as I didn't deem the level of noise to be "loud or annoying", simply always present, I would not go down the Unit is faulty route just yet. Especially since I was having another issue of the elink losing

comms. with my W7 laptop as well as seeing yellow flashes in the little black square to the left of the events bar at the top of the track plan when running a program of events (PRG) file, which RM said was a sign of the program losing connection with the

elink. Because of this I am trying system with another laptop to see if it the USB bus that is causing my comms. failing intermittently.

Lots to do and keep an eye on!! I thought RM would be more simple than other DCC automation programs such as RR&Co,

iTrain, Win-DIGIPET that I have also been trialing?

GarH said:

Is the whining sound still there AlfK? You don't say. I'm yet to set my own up yet and the only whining I get at present is from Grumpy Granny if I disappear up to the loft to

"play" with my layout or my Tinnitus playing up but seriously it surely isn't acceptable these days to have to suffer a brand new device and whining to go with it. Did they explain the reason for the whine? Is there any likelihood the device will be adapted

to stop the whine?

Archived