Setting up locomotive

I have just bought the elink and railmaster package and have set up the software and the elink. I'm completely new to DCC and have just fitted a decoder in one train and I am now trying to program it using the elink. Am I correct in thinking that I need

to first read the CVs on the chip and then write the address? The system isn't managing to read the CVs when I try. I think my programming track etc is set up ok so its possibly a problem with the software. I'm not trying to do anything fancy just want to

see the train work at all really! Any advice would be much appreciated.

First, it should work without doing anything. Decoders come set to address 03 and you should be able to run it on that address. Then you can put it on the programming track to change the address. To do this, you don't need to directly read and write CVs.

Once you are in the loco setup window, use the address button to change it. Check the Rm manual on how to go about this and which is the address button. The address is certainly stored in CV/CVs but you don't have to write to them directly, or read them.

To

do anything else, you certainly will need to write CVs, and read them. If your programming track is firmly connected, and you have clean track, wheels and pickups, and you are still having trouble reading and writing, email RM Support from within RM Help as

something may be faulty.

Thanks for clearing things up a bit, thats very helpful. I have it wired directly in to the chip just now (as it was disassembled for fitting the chip anyway) so I know its not dirty track. I think the decoders wired ok as when I ran it on an analogue

controller it worked (not sure if your meant to do this but never mind!). Maybe the elink itself is faulty, as it still wont run on 0003.

Archived